Any Canadian residents online?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2003, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Canada about 10 days before our cruise-my question is.

What are the prices of things, such as liquor (litre), cigarettes (any brand), beer (any) and things such as shampoo, toiletries?

I don't expect you to do the conversion for me- just prices in CAD? Thanks.

Also, can you get the tax rebate at the port-everything I read always mentions the airport.
Old May 27th, 2003, 03:12 PM

Hi Maryann

Where in Canada will you be? It's difficult to give prices for items you mentioned if someone doesn't know where you will be purchasing them e.g, which province, city, town. Prices for carton's of cigarettes purchased at a corner grocery can be 10 dollars higher than a small discount store just up the street in some cases. Same with shampoo and toiletries. In Ontario, beer and liquor is controlled by the government and prices are set.

I'm not sure what you mean by "port-everything" do you mean "duty free" i.e., tax exempt?
Old May 27th, 2003, 06:40 PM

For details regarding tax refunds see http://www.ccra-adrc.gc.ca/tax/nonre...ors/tax-e.html

(Cut and paste this into whatever browser you're using, for everything you need to know in this regard.)

Be advised, though, that purchases of liquor, cigarettes, beer, shampoo, toiletries, will not qualify for tax refunds.

As for prices, I do not reside in Montreal, but visit regularly. Generally speaking, the prices for liquor, cigarettes, beer, shampoo, will be substantially higher than what you pay at home (though at a lesser exchange rate), and, added to the prices will be approximately 15% in sales taxes. You should check the current exchange rates for what you'd be paying in US dollars overall including the sales taxes.. There are no "tax rebates" on consumable goods. All depending upon the vendor, you may pay less, you may pay more.

The very best bargains on cigarettes and liquor and beer (even many toiletries) are at the duty-free shops as you enter Canada. Be advised, however, that you are assessed, if you declare same as you are supposed to do, duty on any "unconsumed" goods when you depart.

Old May 28th, 2003, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for trying to answer my questions. I guess I was as clear as mud.

We will be entering Canada from Idaho and visiting Alberta and B.C. before getting on a cruise in Vancouver.

We will have a car so we can stop in big supermarkets, discount stores, etc. to get the best prices.

I just needed a comparison, I guess. The 1.75 bottle of liquor I buy here is appro. $15 and cigs, around $20. I can see that the duty-free would be cheaper for everything, but just a general price range for a regular store would be helpful.

The tax (I can't think of the name) is some refundable type that is added to hotel bills,etc. The airport is where refund forms are mentioned,just need to know if those forms and rebates are avail. at the ports, too.

Thanks once again.
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:21 AM

Can't comment on cigarettes. Don't smoke. Liquor prices for 1.75 litres depend on the spirit and the brand. But for example a basic non premium bottle of vodka is about $30 CDN. Grey Goose is $48. Shampoo and toiletries vary greatly but cost about 10-15% more than in U.S. after you do the conversion.

There are several taxes consumers pay: GST (a 7% federal tax on all goods and services) and PST (a provincial sales tax which varies from province to province, the same way as it varies in U.S. from state to state. As I understand it non-Canadian residents who stay in Canada more than 7 days can complete a claim form to get a GST refund for GST charged on goods, but not services. Also, if you purchase something and have it shipped out of the province the merchant does not have to charge you PST. Most merchants will not be helpful in this area, as they are in Europe.

There are also other taxes which are non-refundable. These include: liquor and gas taxes which are hidden from the consumer and built into the prices, food tax and liquor tax (in restaurants), hotel tax, airport tax and airport surcharges and I'm sure I'm missing a few taxes along the way. We are heavily taxed!

But hey, have a great trip, tax or no tax.
Old May 28th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Zoe

I don't smoke either but I think cigarettes are somewhere between $9 and $10 per pack (not carton). Don't know if that's tax in or out. Gas in Edmonton is .70 per litre. Again, not gallon. Approx. 4 litres per gallon. That is tax in.
Old May 28th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Wow, thank you, Gayle and Zoe.

Great country to quit smoking!

The GST is the tax I was referring. Can I mail it in if they don't have an area at the pier?

Liquor prices are still doable-toiletries are not too bad either.

Mucho thanks for all the info., I will plan accordingly.
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:47 AM

Maryann: Yes you can mail it in and this site will answer all your queries on the GST.......http://www.canadasalestaxrefunds.com/.

Enjoy your upcoming trip.
Old May 29th, 2003, 04:50 AM

Maryann: Must clarify that last message.......do not want you to use that site for applying for the GST but only sent it to you for info purposes only.
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again, can't wait to get there- it's 90 and raining in FL right now!
Old May 29th, 2003, 02:18 PM

I think the cost of liquor has been covered here BUT let me give you some advice. I live in Ontario & cigarettes are expensive here. I was in B.C. and Alberta & paid almost $10.00 for a package. My advice to you is buy your smokes before you leave home - they are sure to be cheaper. When I was in Banff I asked a store clerk where the cheapest place to buy them was & she directed me to a small gas station right on the main street.
Old May 29th, 2003, 05:59 PM

Hi Maryann:
We live in Pennsylvania and make at least two trips by auto to Canada each year. Just returned from Quebec last week. As mentioned above, the official website is www.ccra.gc.ca/visitors which is maintained by Canada Customs and Revenue Agency. I mention "official" as there are several private companies who will process the GST refund for you for a fee of 8 - 10% of your refund. The Canadian government does not charge a fee! Look for the pamphlet "Tax Refund For Visitors To Canada" (RC4031). Receipts must be for $50 CAD (before taxes)to claim a refund.
We stop at the duty-free shop prior to returning to the US and have Canadian Customs stamp the back of our receipts. (This is required) At home we mail these along with the form in the pamphlet mentioned above to Charlottetown, PEI. We usually have our refund check in 4-5 weeks. They even convert it to US dollars for you.
Old May 30th, 2003, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks George, that's just what I'll do.