Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Do foreign visitors need special car insurance?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are hosting two 50ish adults from Germany next week. One speaks some English, the other none. Would like to loan them our car for a few day trips. My questions are these: Is a German driver's licence enough to drive legally in the U.S.? Would our car insurance be vaid if they were involved in an accident, carrying only a German driver's license? The local Allstate agent was unclear on this point, seeming to suggest it would be OK (insurance covers the car, not the individual) but adding that the company COULD deny coverage if our visitors were proven not to have a "valid U.S. driver's license." Any thoughts?
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Let me get this straight. You called your insurance carrier and they can't tell you whether they'd be covered or not -- or suggest that your visitors "might" not be covered if they don't have a US driver's license? In other words, they don't have a clue?
You have two choices that I can see. Get a new insurance agent who can better interpret your coverage, or give up the idea of someone driving the car.
Did he suggest attaching a temporary rider by any chance?
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I hung up feeling confused and uncertain about whether we were good to go. He SEEMED to be saying we were OK but stopped short of saying so because of the possible need to prove "valid U.S. driver's license" in the event of a claim. No suggestion of attaching a temporary rider.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 01:54 PM

FWIW some states, such as California, while not recognizing an IDP, will recognize a valid driver's license issued by a jusridiction in another country provided the driver is a residaent of that jurisdiction.

Of course, this has nothing to do with what the insurance carrier "might" recognize or do.

IMO the agent may not have wanted to research this but then again insurance companies have been known to do just about anything to avoid paying claims.

What are you planning to do now?
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 01:57 PM

How about calling AAA and find out if they might need an international driver's liscense and what that might do if there was an accident. If you are uncomfortable about loaning the car call one of the rent-a-car companies and see if they can rent a car for their trip.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestion (to call AAA). Will be doing that. Thanks for all the comments to date!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 02:39 PM

Hi sherwoodforest, having been an Insurance Broker for decades may I suggest you call Corp Headquarters and talk to someone who knows whether or not your German guest will be covered when driving your automobile. Or email them. Document everything, date, time, who you spoke, their title with the insurance company and what exactly was said.

I have had guests from Italy drive my car. I spoke with the local PD and the CA DMV and was told by both that their Italian drivers license was sufficient. My insurance company also told me the same thing. I documented everthing.

Being told that it "seemed" everything was OK is not good enough, it is the same as "no you will not have insurance coverage if there is an accident".
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:25 PM

I would contact the All State Central Office versus your local agent. (As long as the person has a valid driver lic it's OK for car rentals - and you can lend to people with lic from other states - I don;t see how another country should be different.)
office. (And does it say anything about this in your insurance explanation booklet?)

But I would get the info - in writing from the head
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:37 PM

Why not read your insurance policy?

What I think it will come down to is that the German will either need to get an IDP or not. With an IDP the person would be a legal driver. As far as insurancce goes, the German driver will need liability insurance. Maybe the German's insurance is applicable, but I would not be surprised if it wasn't. The collision coverage is your policy and (I think you will find) will be applicable no matter who the (legally licensed) driver is.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 07:42 PM

Yes, checkl with the local authorities as to whether or not an IDP is necessary or even recognized.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 10:26 PM

From a police perspective, an International Driver's License by itself is not recognized as a license to operate a motor vehicle. It must be supported by a valid operator's license from the licensing agency in the jurisdiction the driver resides. The IDP is only a translation to aid law enforcement officers in understanding licenses that are written in languages foreign to the location where the driving occurs.

If stopped in most states of the union, the driver must be able to present written evidence of valid insurance. I am not aware of any case law that defines what that must consist of with an alien driver and a local vehcile belonging to a private party. Such law may exist but I don't know what is required.

Whether the owner's policy covers the alien driver is likely dependent on the wording in the policy.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 02:35 AM

I'm agree with NeoPatrick. But along with car insurance should have required also health medical insurance.
Old Feb 12th, 2015, 03:19 AM

Gee, rosinakristy12, it's nice to be agreed with, but is there some reason you searched and brought up a 9 year old thread to say so?
Old Mar 26th, 2015, 05:42 PM

NeoPatrick, funny response..

So i know that it was 9 years ago, but what was the result. I have a somewhat similar situation. My mom is driving with my daughter from Arizona to California. My mother has AAA insurance. She understands that my daughter that has a Mexican Driver's liscense (but USA citizen) can not drive her car. I am trying to find a temporary policy or add on for just the 2 days.

I have all the same assumptions that are posted here.. like the rental car companies have that kind of insurance...so it should be possible.

And yes, my mom called AAA, but she could have been confused. I'm going to try them again tomorrow... closed now. So odd.
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 09:57 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How far "from Arizona to California" are they going to drive? Are you saying that the person with the valid license cannot drive the entire distance on their own?
Old Mar 27th, 2015, 03:35 PM

With my ins company, if you lend your car, you lend your insurance (you are giving permissive use), and any loss would be covered by your policy. Check with your company, as each state's ins laws differ, as do each ins company's policies.