Distance from Kahului and Lahaina??

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Distance from Kahului and Lahaina??

Does anyone know how far way Lahaina Is from Kahului. My cruise is scheduled to dock in Kahului, and i would like to go to the Old Lahaina Luau. We dont plan to to rent a car, but may have to if there is not ample transportation to and from the boat. Any input would be great.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 12:46 PM

The distance is under 25 miles. The speed limits on the road will vary but I would allow about 40 minutes from Kahului to Lahina.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks suzie, that is great to hear... i didnt think it would be too far, but i wanted ot be sure...

have you been the old lahaina luau?
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:15 PM

NO I have not but it gets great recommendations. I have been to the location though and it is a nice ocean front location facing west. It's a nice spot to see a lovely sunset.

While most luaus greet you with a shell lei upon arrival the OLL greets guests with a flower lei.

You can get more info on the luau here:
http://www.oldlahainaluau.com/factsheet/index.html
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM

I've been to Old Lahaina Luau, and I really enjoyed it. It's worth the money. It's just a question of whether or not you can get back to your ship before it sails in the evening. The Luau is kind of long.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:27 PM

Rent a car. You can stop at Iao Needle on the way and then still have time to stroll Lahaina before the luau.

If you get transportation, it will probably just take you to the luau and back again. And it would probably be just as expensive.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 04:24 AM

The luau is lengthy...make sure you have ample time to enjoy. It takes a while to drive back and forth...it is a very curvy road and you will want to go slow at night.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

do you think the cruise line will offer a "charter" to and from the ship to the Luau?
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Brittany - I can only assume that if you can book an activity through a cruise line, then it would include transportation to and from the activity.

But, your question could probably be better answered on the "cruise" forum. Click on: change forum and then: cruise.

Make your subject line read "Hawaii cruise activities" or something like that.

You can also do a Yahoo (or other search engine) search and type in: Hawaii cruise activities or activities on a Hawaii cruise or something similar.

Also the cruise ship you will be on should be able to provide you with a list of available activities on each island that you can sign up for. You can go to www.ncl.com to get info about both the Pride of Aloha and the Pride of America. Ask them about the activities they offer.

Also, if you are going through a travel agent, he/she should be able to give you a list of available activities.

By the way, you're doing a great job in setting up your cruise. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Dusty i just did just that... but i did that here in this forum, if you would like to check out my thread, id love ur input, its more involved then just that one question... thanks
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:46 PM

I was at the Old Lahaina Luau five years ago, at that time it was open bar and they poured good stuff. Take the ship's shuttle and enjoy yourselves.
I have made that drive at night several times and it is not an easy one.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

logandog,

i am not sure the ship will have shuttle, it is not listed on my shore excursion list.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Ok, first I must say I struggled with posting here as I have no firsthand experience with cruises in the hawaiin islands. I've past this thread at least 4 times and said......mind your own business gyppie! I am posting completely out of school here, but I have been to the islands over Christmas and in January. The surf is high, very high, the stuff that makes those amazing surfing videos.

Again brittany21, I hesitate with my uneducated opinion, but ask you to completely research the wonder of cruising the hawaiin islands in February. You will see whales, and it may be wonderful......but the surf is so strong.....I just want you to know what you're getting into......If cruising the Hawaiin Islands in February is an amazing trip then you will surely report back!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 09:15 PM

gyppielou is right that there can be strong surf around the islands in February.

It really shouldn't affect the cruise itself though. The cruise ships are huge and the waves barely affect them.

In the past five years that I've been living in Hawaii, I only remember reading about one occasion that a cruise ship was not able to make it into a port because they felt it was too dangerous to try to dock. It was either Hilo or Kona. I don't remember which.

There have been some occasions where the smaller boats have had to cancel dinner cruises or whale watching tours. But even that is infrequent.

Most of the other activities that you have planned won't be affected by the surf. You may want to bring some of those cheap rain coats or ponchos because it will be rainy season.

By the way, on Maui both the Marriott Luau and the Royal Lahaina Luau have 25% off coupons for up to 4 people in the Entertainment Book. Their luaus may not be as good as Old Lahaina Luau, but they are still good. I've been to the Marriott Luau several times. But, that was in the early 90s when it was rated the best on Maui. I don't know what it is like now.

The coupons expire November 1, but hopefully they will be in next years book for you if you need them.
Old Jul 1st, 2005, 12:46 AM

while we were in Maui in November the surf was bad. Those who had gotten off the cruise ship, could not return back. They got stuck at a hotel overnight with no luggage. By the way, don't let the cruise company talk you into a luau at the Pineapple Plantation...looked really hokie and that is where all the cruise tourists were going.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 10:24 AM

In Laws went on that cruise around that same time and the surf was too much for them to disembark in Maui so they only got to see it from the ship.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

wow, i hope they got a credit or refund of their money back... maui is what i am most looking forward too
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 02:33 PM

I am pretty sure when I say that you don't get your money back if you can't get to shore related to an act of god.
Old Jul 7th, 2005, 12:37 PM

No refund. Check your terms of agreement. I'd be willing to bet there is no compensation if they are unable to shuttle you to shore if surf is too high.