Maui Luas - Old Lahaina sold out

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maui Luas - Old Lahaina sold out

I didn't plan well and now the Old Lahaina Luau is sold out for my upcoming trip to Maui. I've heard there are also luas at a few hotels -- Royal Lahaina, Marriott, and Hyatt. Has anyone been to these luas? Which one is best?

Old Jul 16th, 2005, 04:27 PM

My daughter says the Hyatt has a good luau. She prefers that to Old Lahaina Luau because Old Lahaina Luau does not have a fire knife dancer. I would not go to a luau unless it has a fire knife dancer.

The Marriott Luau and the Royal Lahaina Luau each have coupons in the Entertainment Book, each 25% off up to 4 people.
Old Jul 16th, 2005, 04:34 PM

We went to the Royal Lahaina Luau in May because the Old Lahaina Luau was sold out. The concierge at our hotel recommended it, and it was great. One word of advice: go early--I mean a good hour before they open the gates.
That was the advice of the concierge and we were glad we listened. About 45 minutes before the gates opened the lines were so long you couldn't see the end of the line!
Old Jul 17th, 2005, 03:24 PM

Feast at Lele and the Wailea Marriott luau both come highly recommended. Fire dancers perform at both. The Old Lahaina Luau is strictly Hawaiian - not Polynesian - and therefore does not use firedancers.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 04:42 PM

psst, just make sure you spell it LUAU! the other spelling--"lua"--means "bathroom" in Hawaiian.
Old Jul 18th, 2005, 06:57 PM

when is ur trip? I would like to now how soon to schedule to be sure to get in. My trip is feb, and so far i was dead set on Old Lahaina Laua.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 01:41 AM

Feast at Lele in Lahaina is excellent!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 04:42 AM

Did you ask them to put you on the waiting list for Old Lahaina Luau? It was sold out when we went to Maui as well, but we put our names on the waiting list and got in when someone else cancelled. Good luck!!
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 10:06 AM
ssm

I recommend that you to pass on OLL and choose the Feast at Lele, if you are choosing only amongst those two. I just got back from Maui, attended OLL and thought it was not worth the price. By the same token, while dining at PacificO's, the Feast at Lele was going on right next door and we could catch a glimpse of what was happening. It just looked better than what we experienced, especially with the sit down service as opposed to the buffet service at OLL.

Also, we stayed at the HYatt and brefly saw what was happening there. Looked fun but it was pretty crowded.
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 11:06 PM

Our family went to the Hyatt luau last Thursday, 7/14. We enjoyed it very much. The blue book, Maui Revealed, authors are dead-on about the wait in the hot sun. It was the only negative. The setting is lovely, the dancing great, including the fire dancer. I was most impressed with the food... It was actually good! Steak, chicken, kalua pork, mahi mahi, salads, vegis, rice, etc. and desserts. We felt well cared for and never had an empty glass in front of us. My daughters enjoyed the hula class given while we finished eating. We would go again!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 07:09 AM

The Feast at LeLe is owned and operated by the same company that does the Old Lahaina Luau. While the OLL is strictly Hawaiian, the Feast at LeLe has 4 Polynesian cultures represented: Hawaii, New Zealand, Tahiti and Samoa. Which means it will have Dusty's favorite: Fire Knife Dancing! (Dusty's kind of fussy that way ) It's smaller than OLL (about 250 people vs 400), but quite delightful.

I've been to the Hyatt Luau many, many times. I used to work in a travel office in the Hyatt, and when I would leave for the day, I would frequently be shanghaied into attending (actually I went willingly because it was so good.) So I've probably seen it 75 times. It's excellent, though for some reason, I tend to think of it more as dinner theatre than a luau.

Royal Lahaina Luau? Definitely NOT my choice. Now, I haven't been in a while, but unless things have changed: My opinion is it's Too big (up to 1000 people). Hated climbing into the picnic tables (with no support for my back while seeing the show). Hated the large, chunky pebbles that were used as paving which I had to walk on to get to my table (and twisting my ankle in the process). And (again at THAT time) REALLY hated the hula kahiko that was done in hot pink lame hula skirts. Definitely not authentic. If this has changed since then, someone please advise me.

One more thing: most of the time, the OLL waitlist rarely clears, so it would definitely be better to make other luau reservations in advance, rather than seeing none at all.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well it's not exactly a luau but I really liked U'lalena at the Myth and Magic Theater in Lahaina. It's kind of a cirque-de-soile style Hawaiian history lesson. Very unique performance!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 01:52 PM

kamahinaohoku - You're right, I like the fire knife dancing.

The first Polynesian show I went to was at the Moana in Waikiki in the mid 70s.

Went to the Maui Marriott Luau in 1990 when it was a good luau. My daughter and ex-wife were dancers in the show then. Both say it is junk now.

My daughter moved on to the Disneyworld Luau in Orlando and then to the Tokyo Disney show and back to Hawaii at Creation: A Polynesian Journey in Waikiki. She's also been one of the dancers when the cruise ships get ready to depart Aloha Tower. She's also performed at the Governor's Inauguration and for 'The Rock' (wrestler) when they had a ceremony for him on Oahu several years ago. She had to quit soon after that for medical reasons.
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 06:07 PM

Old Lahaina Luau is sold out through September, so be advised to reserve WAY in advance! Belle.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:23 PM

Skip the luau and go to the Hawaiian Mixed plated, located behind the stage of the luau. I was able to see the fire dance, and all stage people get off the stage. I am not a fan of waiting in line with a bunch of hobos, for some picked over, over-priced meal.

Just my opinion
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 07:44 PM

tweekerz, you obviously haven't been to the OLL!

Belle.
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 10:20 PM

I consider the luau an opportunity for food and drink. The culture/history/entertainment value isnt for me, and that it is my opinion

I prefer Prime Rib, than Kaluha Pig, seafood, and tarot root.

Thanks

Matt
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
The *Mixed Plate* place next to the grounds where the Old Lahaina Luau is held is an excellent restaurant suggestion for Lahaina.

(I don't want this great idea to get lost in Matt's insults about the OLL.)
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Suze: You're right! The Aloha Plate Lunch is the name and it has a $6 coupon in the E-Book (that I regretfully failed to use!).

Actually, there was one thing there that was better than at OLL, IMHO, ...the Mai Tai's!
Belle
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM

tweekerz, you have been tweekin' that night, cause there is no fire dance at OLL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -