Disneyland December or January??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there .. we will be travelling to the US from NZ in December.

We would have the option of either visiting Disneyland 18, 19, 20 December or 20, 21, 22 January on the way home.

We've been before so I know it will be busy anyway, but is either of those two dates preferable, do you think?? I've done a couple of thread searches but just wondering if anyone has any updated thoughts.

Many thanks for any advice.
Old Apr 6th, 2006, 11:18 PM

If they still have the strolling carolers before Christmas, December would be fun. However, I would think the crowds would be smaller in January when the kids are back in school.

We had a wonderful time in New Zealand in 2004; I hope you and your family enjoy our country!

Lee Ann
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Actually one of the slowest weeks of the year at a Disney park is the week before Christmas. Since Christmas is on Monday this year . Those traveling to the Disneyland area around Christmas will start arriving the Friday of the Christmas weekend. Which will be after you have left.

Disney always looks a little more magical under Chritsmas decorations and festivities.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:27 PM

I have always wanted to see Disneyland decorated for the holidays. I have also heard that the crowds aren't too bad the week before Christmas.

With that in mind, I think I would personally choose your dates in December just for the opportunity of being able to see the decorations.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 01:38 PM
lvk

I agree with choosing the December dates for the reasons stated above. Also, I have found that the parks seem to start their larger maintenance projects in January, thus you are likely to find more of the rides and attractions closed down at that time.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 04:30 PM

Check the park hours for the dates in December, if they are extended hours then the park is expecting big crowds. We have been the last 2 Januarys around the 17th each time and have been able to walk on every ride. However, it is also about this time that they start taking down the Christmas decorations and when they do they close down the rides for days at a time. I would email or call the park and check 1) hours for Dec. and 2) what dates rides will be closed for decoration removals. Personally, I would go in Jan., the smaller crowds is way worth it for me!!
Old Apr 7th, 2006, 05:09 PM
trippinkpj

Crowds would be smaller in Jan. I think your December dates are the beginning of the two week Christmas break for most schools. I'm thinking about the weather though. I think as a rule, CA (I'm from North CA) is drier in December than Jan. Hard to predict weather from one year to another.

Old Apr 7th, 2006, 07:08 PM

Disneyland is more magical all decorated for Christmas - I'd choose December.
Old Apr 8th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all your excellent replies .. I'm pretty sure we will go in December now. Trippinkpj .. tks for your advice re Xmas recess .. you are correct about the start date but I think we might take the risk anyway because we have never before visited at a festive time. Thank you!