Search

Disney world around xmas time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20th, 2010, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disney world around xmas time

Hi

we live in Australia and are planning to go on a Disney cruise for new years 2011 with our 2 children aged 5 and 7. We would like to go to Disney World whilst we are in the USA but unfortunately the time when we would be able to come would be 22nd dec to 28th Dec. I realise that this is probably the worst time to go but wondered if anyone has been at this time and if they still enjoyed themselves with the long lines etc. Whilst in the USA we would also like to see NYC and Washington Dc. We fly into LA so will obviously do some sightseeing then. The total time would be approx dec 12 to jan 3. We didnt want to be flying back and forth so thought that we would start in La then NYC, washnington, disney world and then the cruise. We possibly may be able to do things in reverse and go to Disney World after the cruise which would be jan 3rd to jan 8 - does this make a difference for disney world?

Would appreciate some advice

Thanks
Emma
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 03:49 AM

It will be less crowded if you go after New Years than during the height of Christmas. Most schools will start back on the 3rd so alot of the kids will clear out then. It will be easier to get dining reservations (make them as far in advance as possible...180 days), lines will be shorter, etc.

Sounds like a great trip
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Second taitai. Disney will be significantly less crowded Jan 3 to 8. Christmas week is often the busiest of the year. Not only do you have lines for the rides, you have crowds in the restaurants, shops and hotels. Much better to be off peak.

I am sure you are aware that NY and DC are possible for winter weather in late December. Can be seriously cold.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:02 AM

It will be crazy busy during Christmas week, but if you stay on-property and take advantage of early openings, etc., you can still have fun. If you can do it, I'd certainly wait until after your cruise to go to Disney World.

FYI: New York City is also crazy busy and terribly expensive right up to Christmas. That may also factor into your plans.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 05:58 AM

Agree with stumpworks73 and taitai in that Jan 3-8 may be your best bet (and the week between Christmas & New Years, the absolute busiest in the entire year). If you want to dine in one of the best restaurants such as California Grill or Artist Point, make your reservations a good 90 days out.
http://www.allears.net/din/reserv.htm

Have fun on your trip!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:04 PM

I agree with everyone else that DisneyWorld will be much better after New Years. We went at that time a number of years ago and it was great!
I live in the D.C. area and it would be good to come here Dec. 22 to 28th. The museums, etc. can be a bit crowded but it's not horrible. There's lots to see and do during the holidays and most of it is free. Some of my recommendations of special holiday events would be: National Christmas Tree and State Trees, Botanical Gardens--it was magical this year; Waterskiing Santa, Elves, Reindeer and Grinch at the National Harbor on Dec. 24th; concerts on the Millenium Stage at the Kennedy Center; and Lights at the Zoo (which requires advance purchase of tickets. Check the National Zoo website for details.) George Washington's home, Mt. Vernon is open on Christmas Day as is the Botanical Gardens, but the Gardens are generally too crowded for me that day.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM

Every year between Christmas and New Year's there is at least one day where the Magic Kingdom reaches full capacity and no admissions are allowed after a certain point.

You will be significantly better off visiting Disney after New Year's. Most U.S. schools will come back from Christmas break on Monday January 3rd, 2011, which means far fewer people at their parks.

Regardless of when you go, it's usually a good idea to get to the park as early as possible. We went this past weekend and were able to go on about 9 rides from the 9 a.m. open until 11 a.m. The peak entry period for almost all Disney parks is from 11 onward.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies! I have taken your advice and will plan to go to Disney World after the cruise in january. This will mean we will be in washington DC for Xmas (23rd to 26th dec) and new york 20 dec to 23rd). I know that it will be very cold which is something we are not used to in Australia but it will be an experience i am sure and nice to see snow!! Thanks a lot!!
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 01:42 PM

I like your new order of places. NYC before Christmas will be lots of fun with all of the decorations and holiday festivities. Washington DC will be empty for Christmas, and consequently, a great time to be a tourist there. WDW after the cruise will be SO much less crowded.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 03:10 PM

You might want to contact The Peninsula Hotel before coming to New York to see when they'll have their Ginger Bread Building parties. We took our 8 and 6 year old this year about a week before Christmas and they loved it.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 03:44 PM

You MUST go to the Grand Floridian Hotel on Disney property (not in the actual park, but just hop a monorail to the hotel) and see how they decorate for the holidays. It is one of the most beautiful hotels that I have seen at Christmas time. No pictures can do it justice. It is a grand old hotel, Victorian Style with a real life sized Gingerbread house, a Christmas tree that I have never seen so big. (Princess Di stayed here) Also, a neat experience would be to make reservations to have high afternoon tea at the back of the lobby (in it's own tea room with amazing windows, big wreaths, etc) and you can have an adorable experience with your daughter. Many little girls feel like they are real life pricesses having a tea party. It is actually amazing just for adults and I have gone with my husband and also some girlfriends. You can have tea sandwiches, pastries, and all sorts of other things. If you can afford it, it is worth it to stay at this hotel.
Old Jan 20th, 2010, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

That all sounds great!! Now we just have to save for the trip!!!!