Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, VA

Apr 6th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Williamsburg and Busch Gardens, VA

I'm taking a trip to Williamsburg and Busch Gardens for Spring Break, I have two teenage boys, what would be good to see. I know about Busch Gardens, but never to Williamsburg before.
Apr 6th, 2006, 04:50 PM

Without a doubt, begin your visit to Colonial Williamsburg by seeing the short movie "Story of a Patriot" at the Visitors Center. Yes, it's old and occasionally corny, but it makes your visit much more meaningful.

Then spend a day or two in the historic area, walking along the Duke of Gloucester Street and touring all of the historic buildings you saw in the movie.

www.colonialwilliamsburg.org

Apr 7th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Last summer went to Colonial Williamsburg with an older teenage son and in the evening we went to a concert in the Capitol(surprisingly enjoyed by all), a tavern ghost walk (not worth the money),and the witch's trial (very interesting and enjoyable-a little different twist on history)All of these you could buy tickets for, with the witch's trial being the most difficult tickets to get. The restaurants that take reservations are an adventure (plus the enjoyment of the food) even though a little on the expensive side. The website can give you lots of info and ideas for Colonial Williamsburg-enjoy!!
Apr 7th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Here are some other suggestions for teenage boys:
Mini golf at the pirates golf on Bypass
Pool at Corner Pocket in Newtown near the new movie theater
Drive the Colonial Parkway - there may be naval ships docked at the weapons station
Boat rental at Waller Mill Park
Hiking at York River State Park
There is a skate board park at the Wmsbg/JCC Rec Center - call ahead to check

Apr 8th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Katk mentioned the tavern ghost walk, and noted that it was not worth the money. I thought that one was OK, but there are excellent tours run by an outside company called "Ghosts of Williamsburg". You'll see their flyers in most hotel lobbies. Since they aren't part of CW, they can't take you into the buildings, but the stories you hear and historical tidbits you learn easily offset that disadvantage.