Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Disney Land... in the RAIN! Tips & ideas, please...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there,
We are going to Disney Land this weekend... and it looks like it is going to RAIN or at least thunderstorms are predicted for everyday that we are there.
Can anyone offer some tips of things to do (great shows?) to get out of the wet and still have a good time. We will be there only a short time, but are staying on property, so I am hoping that this will help out a bit with getting around (it's our first trip).
Thanks so much!
Gillian
p.s. Feel free to offer tips in case the sky opens up and we see sun, too!!
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You must mean Disney World , Anaheim shows sunny and warm this weekend.
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:15 PM

Gillian, do you mean Disney Land? This is posted under Florida.

If it is Florida and Disney World, then I would recommend lightweight ponchos or, better yet, small folding unbrellas. get these before you come to WDW or you will pay top dollar for them from the Mouse.

Afternoon thunderstorms are a common occurrence during the summer which is our rainy season. They generally occur in the mid or late afternoon and last a short period of time. Since you are staying on property, use this as an opportunity to take a short break at your hotel, perhaps have an early dinner and then return to the park later in the early evening.
Old May 26th, 2009, 04:17 PM

First, buy some rain ponchos before you get to the park and pack them in a backpack or bag; you can buy them in the parks but they will easily cost double or triple. If it rains, just put them on keep on truckin (we did just that a week ago!). Here's the downside...you won't see the fireworks or parades due to inclement weather. Here's the upside: crowds tend to disappear when it rains, lines are much shorter, getting into restaurants is much easier. That being said, if you're in the magic kingdom, inside attractions include pirates of the caribbean, haunted mansion, carousel of progress, country bear jamboree, buzz lightyear, stritch's escape, small world, and so on. Hall of Presidents and Space Mountain are under renovation. You can walk from store to store along mainstreet without going outside as they are interconnected. If you are looking for a nicer dinner there, I'd suggest Tony's on the square in main street (make reservations); In Epcot, you'll have to do more outside walking but the pavillions have plenty to do inside and the only real outside 'ride' is the test track. If you are staying on property, I think you can make dinner reservations there some time in advance - I'd call the disney dining services number and ask. Again, depending on what you like and want to spend, there are many choices - we tend to go to France, Germany, Canada, UK or Italy for food when we're there. You will need resevations for dinner; lunches tend to be less crowded. Each country has a presentation of some kind and all are indoors; this past trip, we spent our entire day at Epcot in the world showcase. Just take a bag in with you, have the ponchos, sun screen, sunglasses, hat, etc as the weather does change quickly. We had torrential rains one day late afternoon, full sun the next two days and later found out that Universal Studios had rain all three days! If you're staying on property, the disney transportation will drop you at the parks, nearly at the gates so you wont' be trudging from the parking lot to the gates.
Old May 28th, 2009, 01:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Yes, I meant Disney World-- I'm totally new to the Disney thing. I'm packing rain coats and am off to the airport!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 06:00 AM

As to ponchos...they must be see-through...gone are the days of the bright yellow Mickey ponchos since 9-11...they are all clear plastic now...you can pick them up at dollar type stores or discount stores...
We went to Disney World without umbrellas or ponchos...wound up having to buy both! It was pouring that hard!! Sure had the whole Magic Kingdom to ourselves that day...
°o°
~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.