Disney food for kids

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:26 AM
Ann

Disney food for kids

Looking for restaurant ideas for my husband and I and our two picky eater 9 year old granddaughters. We are going to WDW last week in June and haven't made preferred seating arrangements because the food issue seemed overwhelming, now I'm panicking. My husband and I would like a decent dinner (fresh food, fish, pasta, veggies) in the evening or for a late lunch but the kids are picky, picky, picky. Any recommendations for restaurants that will satisfy both will be appreciated.

Ann
Ann

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:33 AM
ilisa

What do you mean when you say the kids are picky? What are the types of foods they will only eat? If you are a bit more specific, I can probably give you some recommendations.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:43 AM
Lori

You should stop worrying about that issue. Disney knows how to treat kids and understands that they're picky!
Virtually every restaurant has a kids menu, high chairs, and a very patient waitstaff. I recall chicken nuggets being a big hit with my kids, along with applesauce. I believe most times the kids meals came with ice cream for dessert, too. The counter-service restaurant at the Wilderness Lodge had an awesome PB&J that came with grapes and a rice krispy treat - what a hit! Another idea might be checking out the soups. Mine love any kind of soup, but chicken noodle would go over well.

You can check out menus from WDW restaurants at Deb's WDW guide online:
http://wdwig.com/

Have fun!

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 08:04 AM
tom

as mentioned even the "fanciest" restaurants have kid's menus, & are usually very accomodating (ask even if something isn't on the menu).

WDW has many good restaurants,(although they're all somewhat expensive).

Spoodles & Flying Fush Cafe at the Boardwalk resort are both outstanding.

Brown Derby (good food!) & 50's Prime Time Cafe (average food but lots of fun) at MGM.

All at Epcot: Akershus at Norway, Coral Reef at Living Seas (wonderful views of the main aqurium tank), many others.

My least favorite restaurants are at Magic Kingdom - less diversity, more likely to be average or mediocre (no wine served at MK is also a big negative for me!)

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 08:06 AM
tom

that Flying "Fush" is supposed to be "Flying Fish Cafe"!

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 05:02 PM
Ann

Thanks for the messages. Describing the girls as "picky" was too vague, I agree. If you were going to eat with kids for lunch or dinner at Blizzard Beach, Epcot, animal Kingdom, and the Magic Kingdon (2x), where would you go (and character meals are not a necessity). I'm sure Disney does a great job catering to the kids food tastes.

Ann

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 04:31 AM
ilisa

When at Animal Kingdom, take them to the Rainforest Cafe. While it is not the most stellar restaurant, it has a large, varied menu that should have something for everyone. The kids should like the setting. I know you said charcter meals are not a necessity, buy at Magic Kingdom, make sure you go to one. We enjoy the one at Crystal Palace with Pooh and Friends. And who can turn their nose up at Mickey Mouse pancakes and waffles? Tony's Town Square Restaurant is a pretty good Italian restaurant at Magic Kingdom. It is supposed to be modeled after the Italian restaurant in Lady and the Tramp. Epcot, I believe, offers the most diverse and largest selection of dining choices. If the kids aren't adventurous, you can always get something the eat at the American Adventure and have hot dogs. Our personal favorites are Akershus at Norway and Marrakesh at Morrocco, but they may be a little much for your kids. Coral Reef Restaurant is a seafood place which does have a decent variety of food. The children can watch the fish while they eat. Don't forget to take them to Boardwalk for some ice cream. Don't worry. There are so many choices that your granddaughters will not starve. You can always buy them big turkey legs to gnaw on.

Old Jun 13th, 2000, 05:43 AM
tom

At last sighting, there were No "Death Valley Days"-style skeletons of small, starved children anywhere to be seen! (except maybe as part of the the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' show/ride!)

Numerous varied restaurants available, as mentioned by Ilisa, many of them quite good, and often entertaining, as well.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 09:34 AM
penny

I'm the mother of one of the pickiest eaters of all times, now 11 years old. We've been to Disney many times.

You might not like the food at Magic Kingdom, but there are plenty of places for kids to find what they want. As a previous poster said, Disney generally offers PB&J as part of their kids' meals at all restaurants.

When at Epcot, eat at the Land pavilion. Best food is there, with great fruit. We like the place on the lower level; I can't remember the name of it.

We tried Akershus, part of Norway at Epcot, because of the smorgasbord. I think the kids ate just bread. It might be too out of the ordinary for 9-year-olds.

If you get to MGM, do try the Sci-Fi Dine In. It's our favorite, and we've been back many times. You sit in modified cars, and the whole (indoor) setting is that of a drive-in, complete with old "trailers" from sci-fi movies of the 50s and 60s.

We also like to eat at some of the resorts. There's a great restaurant at the Wilderness Lodge, and your daughters might enjoy the luau at the Polynesian. My daughter loved it when she was about 8.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 11:32 AM
Jeanette

When in EPCOT eat a meal at the sit down Japanese restaurant where they cook for you. The girls will absolutely love the show the cook puts on. My all grown up son still remembers that as one of his first "foreign food" memories and yet it is very simple and not seasoned with much (as that is in your dipping sauces). Really just a great shrimp or piece of steak. Please don't cater to their wanting "just a burger" every time. Go where YOU want and they will join in and expand their tastes. They are old enough. As a grandma and a mom, remember, don't notice or make a big deal about what they ate. When they are hungry enough- they will eat. Aren't you paying for the trip and aren't you a great role model for eating behavior? Have fun and all else will follow. Don't make food any issue with them and WDW has so much going on that there are a million ways to divert the subject.

Old Jun 15th, 2000, 12:20 PM
Ann

To all, especially Jeanette, RIGHT ON! Thanks for everything!

Ann

Old Jun 16th, 2000, 06:34 AM
Dawn

Great advice Jeanette!!!!