Discovery Bay Area in July

Mar 16th, 2008, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Discovery Bay Area in July

We will be staying at the Worldmark Discovery Bay from July 5 - 12, 2008. We have never been to the NW before. Please let us know information that would help us to begin to plan our vacation.....what we should see and do in this area, restaurants, etc. We were thinking about going sea kayaking from San Juan Island one day, but after reading the forums regarding the ferries, it sounds like a nightmare trying to get there and back. Also, we are very interested in exploring Olympic National Park, so any information regarding getting there from our location and what to plan to see would also be appreciated. Thank you!
Mar 17th, 2008, 02:30 PM

Learn something new every day. I had never heard of the Worldmark Discovery Bay. I used Google Earth to find it, and apparently it is too new to have had its picture taken. The location is on highway 101 between the Port Townsend area and Sequim/Port Angeles.

You will have a car, obviously, and that is a good thing. Port Townsend itself is worth a visit...many people come to the NW with PT as a destination. It is a Victorian village with lots of funky things to see.

The ONP and Hurricane Ridge are within easy reach and should be included in your plans. You also have enough time to drive west past Crescent Lake to the ocean, which is another must-see. I would guess that sea-kayaking is available in Discovery Bay itself, but I have no direct knowledge. Use Google to the maximum extent...this is especially true when looking for restaurants.
Mar 17th, 2008, 03:45 PM

First addendum: Using Microsoft's Virtual Earth, which apparently has more up-to-date aerials than Google, I found the Worldmark complex on the southwestern shore of Discovery Bay. Still not close to towns of any size until you either go north to Port Townsend or west to Sequim...not that that is a bad thing. My wife points out that we purposely go to places that have no phones or TV, such as Kalaloch out on the coast, but Worldmark is not nearly in that category.

The entrance to Olympic National Park is between Sequim (pronounced "skwim") and Port Angeles. The drive along Discovery Bay and through the farmlands near Sequim is quite scenic.

I think that you will enjoy the area.
Mar 17th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Sequim area..small wineries and Lavender Farms. Check out when the Sequim Lavender festival is.
Sequim also has a great spit of land where Dungeness crabs come from..great walk to the Lighthouse.

www.parks.wa.gov

You could take passports and go across the Puget Sound to Vancouver IS and visit Victoria BC. You would need to check out ferry reservatins in advance whetehr to San Juan or VAncouver IS..if you plan in advance for ferry to VAncouver IS should be ok..

Port Townsend has a cute antique area and a wonderful pizza place..also known for its preservation of wood boat festival..

I grew up in this area and really teh best part..is waking up everyday and looking at the beauty..trees, water, mountains..

Mar 17th, 2008, 07:56 PM

You can rent sea kayaks in Port Townsend, or take a guided tour if you prefer. There is nice kayaking both in discovery Bay (where I have seen puffins) or on the other side of the peninsula, toward Marrowstone Island.

http://www.ptguide.com/recreation/kayaking.html

http://www.ptoutdoors.com/