discount hotel sites for NYC

Apr 3rd, 2009, 03:29 PM
ita
Original Poster

discount hotel sites for NYC

Suggestions from anyone who has used hotwire or priceline where you enter a price, number of stars and don't know the name of the hotel. Are there special tips to use? Any way to ensure that you get a good hotel? If you don't like it can you check out after one night or are you required to pay it all in advance?
Apr 3rd, 2009, 06:08 PM

Priceline can be used in NYC only for 2 people since all you are guaranteed is a room with one double bed - or 2 twins. Once you make the bid your money is gone and you have the hotel - unless it should burn down or something. So - don;t bid unless you're sure you can live with what you might get. And do realize that Priceline does not inspect these hotels - and star ratings are based on hotel's own reports. So what they call a 4* may be a 3*. I would never bid less than 4* in Mnahattan.

To get specifics on what hotels are being won at what rates at each star level have a look at biddingfortavel.com or betterbidding.com.

Do not do this if you must have a specific location or amenity.

Other options, which show the hotel you will get are travelzoo.com or kayak.com. They sometimes (not the busiest times) have good deals. But again, you need to research the hotels themselves to meet your needs.

If you tell people when you're coming, how many of you there are and what your price range is, people can make specific recos.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 07:47 PM

Agree with studying biddingfortravel and betterbidding. ASK for assistance if you are new at this. The administrators of those sites are expert.

I've used both Hotwire and Priceline, and also stick with 4* or above, with great success, and saved a bundle. I prefer Hotwire as you can narrow down the hotel possibilities, even though the rate may be a bit higher than Priceline. I've never had a bad experience with either, but doing a lot of homework is essential, especially with Priceline to avoid overbidding.

Travelzoo does have some amazing leads to bargains sometimes. I've also had intermittent good luck with Quikbook and Easyclicktravel.
Apr 3rd, 2009, 08:38 PM

Study the lists on biddingfortravel.com and betterbidding.com carefully. Also keep in mind that PL and HW have different definition for its star levels, with HW inflating the stars by 0.5* in many cases.

A 4* on HW is often a 3* or 3.5* on PL. For example, the Roger Williams is a 4* on HW; but only 3* on PL. The Algonquin is 4* on HW but 3.5 on PL. Waldorf Astoria is 4.5* on HW, but may appear as 4* on PL.
Apr 4th, 2009, 05:05 AM

If you're talking about using one of these for the trip with your DIL, you can NOT be guaranteed a room with 2 beds on either Hotwire or Priceline. I think the only way to guarantee 2 beds is to book on Hotwire for 3 people. There are a lot of hotels in NYC that don't have any rooms with 2 beds. The best way to assure yourself of a nice hotel with plenty of space is to stick with 4* hotels and only select areas where there aren't any "clunkers." Both of the above mentioned websites have hotel lists for Priceline. Betterbidding.com has one for Hotwire too.

I don't think you ever told us when you're planning on coming, but there are so many good deals on travelzoo.com quikbook.com and other sites, I don't see the need to use Hotwire or Priceline. If you give us the date(s) and your budget, we might be able to find you something that you can choose.
Apr 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
TC

I would never take a chance in NYC on Priceline. Lately I've been receiving almost daily emails from www.quikbook.com with NYC hotel deals -- some in the $100 range. They are a reputable organization, often you do not pay in advance, the reservation can be canceled and you will know what hotel you are getting. Much less stressful way to travel.
Apr 4th, 2009, 06:38 AM
ita
Original Poster

no this is for another trip that I am just beginning to think about for my next visit to Baltimore. The hotels are just too expensive for 3 adults and 3 children. We would need a suite or 2 rooms. When I know the exact time I will ask for more specific help
Apr 4th, 2009, 06:41 AM
ita
Original Poster

This is for another trip I am just think about for my next trip to Baltimore. I would like to bring the whole family to New York for the weekend-3 adults and 3 kids. We would need 2 rooms or a suite and it is just too expensive. When the time comes I will ask for specific help
Apr 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM

The way to stay inexpensively in NYC, esp. with a big family is to pick the right time to come. You won't likely find great deals in June but July and August can be a great time for deals. Affinia.com is a group of suite hotels, some of which will have suites large enough for all of you. You should sign up for emails on sales from them and try to plan your visit around a sale. Earlier in the year there were great deals on the Affinia Manhattan and the Shelburne Murray Hill on travelzoo.com and travel-ticker.com

Beaconhotel.com
has 1 bedroom suites and is offering good prices for the summer.