Disappointing Fall colors

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here in mid-Michigan, the fall colors have been very disappointing. First, leaves were dropping with no color change, then when there was color it was very dull. What's it been like in your neck of the woods?
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:34 AM
GoTravel

Our colors don't change at all Suzie.

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:39 AM

We saw some really pretty color in Pa., Connecticut, Mass., and NY the other week, but I was told it wasn't as brilliant as usual.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:43 AM

Here in southern Wisconsin the colors are pretty dull. Our red maple started out fiery, but most of the tree then turned brown. Not nearly as pretty as last year.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Same here in Upstate NY (Albany/Saratoga area).

The maples and nut trees are putting on a good show but the oaks are more brownish than red. Many other tree just fell apart without tirning color at all. We were on track for an excellent foliage season but the second half of August and all of September were extremely dry and abnormally warm. We haven't even had a frost yet either. No it is falling apart fast and the rain predicted for tonight will knock it apart.

Oh well...there's always next year.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM

New England is always pretty at this time of year, but this year less brilliant than usual. Reports are it is due to drought. Maple tree across from our house is usually bright red. This year it turned yellow/orange and then leaves fell.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 09:58 AM

southwestern connecticut not great either. colors are duller and my perception has been confirmed in media coverage, too.

too bad for the travelers who planned special foliage tours this year.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM
maj

Some bright yellow color, especially after the rain the last week, but otherwise dull. Haven't really seen any red to speak of and, like others have said, probably half of the leaves have turned brown and fallen already. This is in the Cincinnati area.

When we were in the upper penisula of Michigan the first week in October, there was some great color, but it had just started turning and below Saginaw it was green all the way down I75.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 10:12 AM

Right now the only pretty colors are from Poison Oak and Ivy. Sad, but we have the drought to blame for lack of good foliage.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 12:23 PM
JJ5

SuzieTrue, I noticed the same thing.

Our trees in IL are much brighter and some of them are breath-taking exactly now.

And at my MI place, as yours, the early color was just ok but not like past years at all. And YES, they are dropping now without ever having reached the real burn colors. I haven't been there to even see that end. The pier got taken out though.

It didn't get cold enough at night, and the area by you, more than mine in MI, also didn't get enough rain this summer- so they were probably sugar starved before Autumn even started.

The Ash trees in IL are a brillant purple/red right now. When I go to work within the yellow and red oaks and maples, it feels like you are driving down into a colorful bowl.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:27 PM

ARE U KIDDING ME?

I am just north of Detroit and the colors are Fantastic. Burning Red and Orange leaves looking like fire in the sky. Our Tree's along Rochester Rd. are amazing. I am just blown away at all the beautiful colors. Yes, the leaves are falling fast, but OMG it was a beautiful fall scene.

Sorry yours wasn't.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Don

Out here in western Washington, the colors are gorgeous. The reds and oranges have been as vibrant as I can remember (since '98 when I moved out here). Granted, much of the best color is in the trees planted by cities and towns instead of the natural growth (much of it evergreens), but it's very nice to see.
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 04:41 PM

In eastern Ontario the colours are now pretty muted and many leaves have fallen, especially with several heavy rains and strong winds in recent weeks.

However, I have to rate this year as a good show overall.

We left for France and Lithuania (don't ask!) on September 21, at which time it was still 28 degrees (about 80-82 F) with no colour change.

In France, we found Burgundy had wonderful but very subtle colours: and who knew that vineyards turned that intense mustard colour?

So when we returned to Canada on Thanksgiving Day (Oct. 8), the brilliant oranges and reds seemed almost garish -- really too much unvarying colour for my taste.

The colours have softened down now to golden browns but there still is a lot of sharp yellow (birch and poplar) along the fringe of the lake, at our country cottage.

And we have had the warmest autumn I can recall. I immersed myself in the lake as recently as this Monday (Oct. 22) -- and for the Ottawa, Ontario area, that IS saying something!
Old Oct 26th, 2007, 07:13 PM

Beautiful in the Seattle area now.

Old Oct 26th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I live in a beach town in L.A. County, not an area famous for fall colors. Luckily, however, our neighborhood is known for having lots of trees, and the liquidambers are looking great in yellows, golds, reds.
Old Oct 27th, 2007, 04:26 AM

Probably a stranger to our area (upstate NY) would think they are great -- but if you've been here for several seasons you'd recognize they aren't that great. The leaves in my yard seem to just be falling off, as if they're just tired of living. LOL
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 05:24 PM

Colors in East Tennessee and Western North Carolina are fantastic. We took a day trip along the Cherohala Skyway - BEAUTIFUL! Leaves are just now turning here along the Cumberland Plateau.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 11:45 AM
maj

What a crazy fall! Within the last week in Southwestern Ohio there have developed some beautiful bright colors. Of course, half the leaves have already fallen, but some of the remaining ones that haven't already turned brown are brilliant reds, oranges and yellows. Some of the burning bushes are bright red while the other half of the bush is already dead. We'll take what we can get -- didn't think we had a chance of good color (even in a small amount), especially so late in the year.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 11:54 AM

With CaliNurse we were in MO mid-October, asked the locals if the colors just started to turn, they said it's probably all they'll have as this year has been very dry.
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 12:25 PM

Might just be my eyes, but in going through Central Park today the majority of leaves seemed to still be green or a green-lime-yellow color. Nothing really vibrant yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -