Dinner in Vegas--Onda & Samba

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2004, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok,I know this subject has been beat to death but here goes...I'll be in Vegas next week, with my boyfriend, and we're looking for a nice place for dinner, not a buffet, but not too expensive---something maybe $50-75 per person w/drinks, at the most. Onda and Samba, both at the Mirage, sound interesting but website doesn't offer prices. How are these two restaurants? Are they pricey? Have you been there and would you recommend? Any other options for a nice, romantic dinner on a budget? I've looked into Picasso, Aqua, Renoir, Olives, etc. but I think they might be just a little too fancy for us this trip.

Any feedback would be appreciated. I'd also be interested to hear about the brewery at the Monte Carlo for a more casual dinner. Thanks!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 05:37 AM
KMK

OK, I'll give this a try since no one else has answered yet....

Onda, I have been to and was not impressed with, although I do know others like it. I thought it was overpriced Italian with disinterested staff...not anything horrible to complain about, and the restaurant did have an elegant ambience, but I wouldn't go back.

I've never been to Samba, but I always thought it looked fun and interesting...if I'm remembering right, it may be fixed price, all you can eat rotisserie-type meats that the servers keep bringing around to your tables - I don't get the impression it would be overly romantic, but I think it would be very fun....sorry, I don't know prices, I remember that was not what kept me from going there, so I think it probably falls in your range.

Hmm, other romantic choices - I really loved the food and atmospere at Top of the World at the Stratosphere - might be near the top end of your price range, but really worth it in my opinion. Can't beat the views, the staff was wonderful and the food was delicious! (For a cheaper option, I understand their lunches are reasonably priced - some people go this route.)

I have been to the brewery at Monte Carlo many times (we usually stay at Monte Carlo). Fun, casual food - normal stuff, maybe a few interesting creations of their own as well as far as unique salads and sandwiches. I guess I would say Fridays/Applebee's type fare, but slightly better. And, of course, their own microbrews. I would recommend it.

Not romantic, but I find the coffee shops in the hotels usually have good, reasonably priced meals - I myself prefer that option to buffets, if I'm trying not to spend too much on a meal - more relaxing, and I don't really want to pig out at every meal like a buffet encourages one to do!
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

KMK--thank you so much for responding! I had a feeling that Samba wouldn't be that romantic but it did sound like fun. Although, don't know if I'm crazy about all you can eat meat. Thanks for the tip on the cafes in the hotels. Also, I was thinking about the Strat since that's where we'll be staying. I've heard mixed reviews so I wasn't sure if it would be worth the money, besides getting the gorgeous view...Hmm, decisions, decisions.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 08:40 AM

http://www.jazzedcafe.com/?

Ethel: If your staying at the Strat check out the website it might be something to your liking.

I have been to the top of the Strat and have had mixed experiences and could not recommend it due to the price. I would rather do Binion's Steak House and would make reservations for an half hour before sunset. Great view of the strip from downtown as the sun goes down and the lights on the strip come up. A little pricy, but it is also the way Vegas use to be.
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Ooh, Binions Steakhouse. Now, that's something I did't even think of. Thanks Lacal for that recommendation. Just so I have an idea, about what time does the sunset in Vegas this time of year?
Old Jun 8th, 2004, 01:24 PM

Go to the web site below. Plug in the locale and the date and you can get times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, etc. Your tax dollars at work.

aa.usno.navy.mil

Have fun in Vegas.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Floridafran!! That's a huge help. I never would have thought of that on my own...
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:33 AM
KMK

I agree, Binion's is wonderful - both for food and atmosphere....wasn't sure if it was open after Binion's closed & was bought by Harrah's, but as far as I can tell from the website, it's good to go now. Definitely a great choice.
Old Jun 9th, 2004, 06:44 AM

My husband and I ate at Samba about two years ago. It was $30 for all you can eat meat and side dishes (probably a few dollars more now). I'm not a huge meat-eater but enjoyed the samplings. The side dishes were good, but very different so you have to be into trying new types of food. We had some sort of Brazilian drinks as well which was fun. I'd recommend it highly.