dinner in boston this sunday

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dinner in boston this sunday

I will be in Boston with my daughter (17) for a quick overnight. We're staying at the Sheraton in the back bay area. Any restuarant suggestions walking distance from the hotel?

In the past we've eaten at Brasserie Jo, but would like to try something else, perhaps on Newbury St. Most kinds of food are fine, and entrees around $20 would be preferred.

Thanks.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 09:09 AM

There's a good Tapas restaurant on Newbury St called Tapeo that might fit the bill. Also, although some entrees might be over your $20 mark, there's Jasper's Summer Shack for good seafood.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:31 AM

Stephanie's on Newbury is nice, some entrees will be over $20 but there is a mix.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:44 AM

Fire and Ice (your daughter will love it)
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

thanks. I remember seeing Jaspar's. Stephanies looks nice (i googled it and found the website). Maybe we'll give that a try. We'll probably arrive around dinner time, so I didn't want to waste time walking around looking for something.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 06:33 PM
TKT

On Newbury Street try Cafe L'Aroma for coffee, sit outside and enjoy. Another place I enjoy for sitting outside is the Parish Cafe on Boylston near Arlington, great sandwhiches, interesting food.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:07 PM

agree with these great recommendations.
Parish Cafe is fun, as is Stephanie's and as someone said, Fire and Ice, my kids at that age loved that place. They also love PF Chang's if you like that kind of food -
Stephanie's is still one of my kids (now 21 and 24) all time favorties when they are home.
you can make a rezzie at many of these, including Stephanie's at opentable.com ahead of time if you want to be sure to have a table.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

I was wondering if i needed a reservation, so thanks Escargot. I actually went on opentable and it came back with no availability, so I called and got a reservation, no problem. I check tripadvisor, and honesly the reviews were poor, but mostly about waiting and service, so I figured a reservation is important. I'm hoping the TA comments are off the mark.

A little off the topic, I've tried opentable several times, and most of the time there's nothing av1ilable, but when I call, I always get a reservation.
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 12:58 PM

I am not sure how it works, but I t hink the restaurants must give x amount of seats and times to opentable and keep the rest, I've had the same thing happen, but I do love using open table when we are just 'looking for who has a table tonight at 8" type of thing, and I do try it first when traveling to save me dialing and dialing....most of the time I have luck with open table though

As far as the reviews, I have also seen people who are not happy with Stephanie's - I eat there on average two times a month for either lunch or dinner. I have never had a bad meal or poor service, - I was there about a week ago with 3 friends, and everyone was pleased - I can tell you some of our favorites are the warm goat cheese appetizer/ w bread, olives & roasted garlic to share - for main courses we love the meatloaf, the macaroni (although very rich) , the tenderloin salad, cobb salad, chinese chicken salad, pecan crusted goat cheese salad,...are you hungry yet??.....
and last week one had the crab cakes, one the burger, and I had the pulled rotisserie chicken pasta which I loved.

If you have room for dessert, they have great choices, or walk off your meal and have dessert elsewhere - or walk and return for dessert !!

If you like to watch them cook, ask for a table across from the open kitchen, but anywhere is fine.
Maybe it will be warm enough you can eat outdoors and people watch, in New England you never know!