Reload this Page >

Diamond Head Hike worth it??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 09:52 AM
Betty

I am in my mid 50's. My daugher (mid 30s) and I are going to Oahu in May. I have heard the hike to Diamond Head was worth it and others say no, it is not worth it. Please give me your opinion. and if I decide to go, should we go on our own and with a tour? How long does it take to get to the top? There is so much to do (in such a little time span), that I need to really know if I should add this to our agenda.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:27 AM
helen

I think the Diamond Head hike is an invigorating way to start your day. You get a good view of Waikiki and the leeward side of the island. You also learn a little about the defense of the island during WWII. Go early in the day. You want to be off the mountain by 10:30 or 11:00 a.m.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 11:54 AM
kathleen

I went in mid-day when the sun was high, and the crowds were out. It took about 1 hour to get all the way up without stopping. The view was worth it though! Just remember to bring lots of water- but be careful because there are NO restrooms once you start your hike!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:56 PM
Jean

We enjoyed the hike to the top of Diamond Head. Except for that set up stairs at the very end. It looked so long..... Wasn't as bad as it looked though. We actually walked all the way from Waikiki.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:08 PM
Lenore

We did this hike in late morning last April. We walked about 1.5-2 miles from our hotel to a bus stop. Took the bus to the base of the volcano and hiked to the top. It took about 1.5 hours. It's moderately strenuous due maily to the long flight of stairs toward the top. The views on the way up are uninteresting, but once you get to the top, you will be rewarded for your efforts. Bring plenty of water and a small flashlight as there are dark tunnels in parts. We were glad we did it. We're in our mid 40's. We hiked back down, then hailed a cab at the base. It was only a $3 ride back to our hotel. We had fun and met some interesting people that day.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:10 PM
Dick

Excellent hike, and a wonderful view from the top. I was there in early December 1991 and had the rare pleasure of walking part of the way with a WW2 vet who was in one of the lookouts on Diamond Head on December 7, 1941 and was back in Hawaii for the 50th anniversary memorial activities - first time he had been back to Hawaii since the war and he wanted to climb back up to where he was on that day.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:37 PM
Betty

That had to very interesting! One more question everyone - if we take the bus to Diamond Head, will it take you all the way to the area where you start hiking? If I go with a tour, will they wait for you to catch up if you are lagging behind?

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:00 PM
lcuy

The city bus will drop you outside of diamond head crater, so it will be a bit of a walk to where the trail begins. Taxis can take you inside, but there is a new fee for entering the crater now, so not sure if taxis will charge you extra too. you don't need to go with a group tour.... Definitely go early in the day. You are on the inside of a rocky crater, and the trails warm up as the day goes on. It is a fun, short hike..and the good thing is the hard part (going up, up up) is the first half. Leaving is a wonderful downhill cruise!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 02:03 PM
John

My wife and I are in our early forties and attempted the Hike at noon in February 2002. We were coming from winter on east coast and found it to be too hot (above 90 degrees)and turned around after about 45 minutes. My wife previously completed the hike when she was younger and this time insisted that we carry flashlights for part of the hike inside the mountain. Also the trail is not completely paved. I recommend driving or taking a tour bus to get inside the park as early as possible before it heats up. As we were exiting the park we picked up a couple in their 70's who had tried to hike from outside the park entrance to the top, with our car, as they thought they would have difficulty making it back out of the park on their own. Good Luck!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:06 AM
liz

my hubby and I, both mid 30's hiked it last marc, about 7:30 in the am, was awsome! Go very early when it is cool, but don't miss it.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:21 AM
Linda

we have been to oahu twice and each time we have taken the diamond head hike. we are a family of 5 with teenage children. of course, they loved it as us, we had done a tour of pearl harbor the day before going to diamond head, so being at the top and seeing the view helped to put it all in to perspective. the besy way is to go early, we were hiking at before 8:30 (it was june) and we opted to no tour guide. i would say it is worth it, especially if you like the history as us. the last 1/4 mile is more strenuous and you are in a pitch dark tunnel (with wall guidance) for a few moments. once you see the lightatr the end of the tunnel, you can orient yourself. it is an exciting part of the hike!
have fun.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:26 PM
Quinty

It's worth it, absolutely no need for a tour. Bring a flashlight and a camera, plus a full bottle of water.

Old Jan 23rd, 2003, 07:06 AM
Karen

Hi,
I jusr returned from Hawaii last week, and we did Diamond Head. I am 49 and my husband is 56. It is worth the hike. Like the rest are saying start early bring water and a flashlight. The taxi will bring you inside Diamond so you can start your hike from the parking lot. There is only one restroom which is at the beginning of the trail.
We did not find the trail that difficult
the last flight of steps looks like a tremendous task, but really is quite manageable just take your time and pace yourself. Have fun !

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Betty

I am sure I will! and I WILL take the hike - thanks to all of you that have encourged me and given me the "go ahead". Thanks everyone!