Search

Diamond head crater safe?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2015, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diamond head crater safe?

Hello

My family will be travelling to Oahu and are wondering how difficult a climb Diamond Head crater will be.

We are not hikers by any stretch of the imagination and are worried about the safety of our two young kids (13 and 10) as we journey up Diamond Head. Are there guard rails so that they can't hurt themselves? Can a person in reasonable health do DH without over-exerting themselves?

Thanks
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 07:36 PM

When we were there there was a bevy of middle aged Japanese ladies in pumps and suits, carrying parasols, that made it up and down, slowly but in style. No kidding.

As people in reasonable health, we did not find it over-taxing.

I don't remember if there were guard rails.
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 08:04 PM

Diamond Head is more of an uphill walk than a true hike. There are guard rails at the lookout when you reach the top -- while on the path up, there's nowhere to fall.
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 10:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Well I did it, actually I didn't walk the very last lot of steps to the very top, but if I can do it anyone can. It was very hot, early morning to avoid the heat, and we had got in at 11pm the night before from a 13 hour flight from NZ!! Like sf says it is perfectly okay for a 13 year old and a 10 year old, they will probably run up!!
Old Aug 5th, 2015, 11:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It can be quite hot -- but it isn't a hike as such. It is mostly a climb - like up a lot of stairs. Very safe- It is less than 2 miles total up and back. Even though you will see many people in flip flops - wear real shoes. We were dropped off in the parking lot at the bottom of the crater, walked up and then back down and around/back to Waikiki, and the whole thing was only about 4 miles.
Old Aug 6th, 2015, 06:50 AM

I am one of the people who did it in flip flops and my kids ran up it bouncing a basketball. It really isn't a hike so much as a walk with a couple steep sections (the stairs). Most of it is paved and there are a couple sets of stairs but nothing terribly taxing. We did it early in the morning so it wasn't too hot but I could see how it could get really warm later in the day. The little platform at the top isn't huge so it is probably best to go early when it is easier to park and less crowded at the "summit."

Have fun.