Detroit Airport - How is it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Northwest has started flying direct from Detroit to my city. I am contemplating a layover there but was wondering how the airport is there. Is it better than flying through Memphis?
Thanks for any info.
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 02:18 PM

ttt
Old Oct 27th, 2004, 02:43 PM

I just flew NW to Detroit and the new terminal is fantastic. There is a hotel right at the terminal that is very nice, can't think of the name of it. Great shopping and food. Ann Arbor is close by and downtown Detroit is really coming around with great restaurants and Greek Town. Not sure about Memphis.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:58 AM

I've never been to the Memphis airport, but the Northwest terminal at Detroit is very nice. It's new (a few years old) has some restaurants, though nothing to knock your socks off, and some shopping to help you kill time. Also a fantastic fountain right in the center to mesmerize you and pass the time of a layover. I know, you're thinking that a fountain sounds like a big yawn, but check it out and then get back to me!

It's an easy terminal to get around and I love that it's my home airport because it's so nice and new.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:10 AM

Overall, I think the food options in Northwest's DTW terminal are pretty bleak. If you are a junk food eater, the one exception is National Coney Island.

Keith
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:27 AM

MEM beats DTW on food, but that's about it in my opinion. It's nice, new, easy to get around, there are 3 world clubs in the main concourse (A), and the one shared by the smaller concourses. It's clean, bright, and there are moving sidewalks and a tram to catch if you don't feel like walking the length of Concourse A. MEM is dark, outdated, and I only use it when I'm staying in Memphis or northern Mississippi.