Search

Destination wedding

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destination wedding

My son is looking for a destination wedding site--in warm climate perhaps outside the states. They are paying for the wedding themselves and would like it to be reasonable as well. Any suggestions?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Will they be paying for their guests to attend?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Not sure if you realize this, but there is a "wedding and honeymoon" forum on here where you could probably find similar questions and answers.

Also, if you have a local in mind {caribbean, Mexico} you could search the Caribbean board or the Latin America board. Type in DESTINATION WEDDING in the search box and see whats already been asked -- a lot of times.

Also, try googling the same term.

Once you have an area in mind, I am sure you can get answers to specific questions.

Hope this helps...
Debi
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:42 AM

Yes, that's one big consideration.....are they planning on paying the airfare for the guests for a outside the states location? If all their friends can afford it....Great!! if not, well, maybe some where else would be more suitable.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM

Or perhaps the wedding will be quite small so it doesn't matter if all their friends can afford to travel to the location.

Reeder - definitely check out the wedding and honeymoon board on this site. I am sure that people will have tons of ideas for you.

Congratulations to your son and his fiance.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Ag3046

I read that some hotels give the couple special discount rates and promotions if they have guests pay and stay at the same hotel. If your son is looking to pay for everyone else's trip, then maybe they could take advantage of that. If they are not paying for other guests, I think they should not try to make a deal off of their friends. Many of these destination weddings are just too expensive for guests to attend.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:21 AM

Reeder -- You did not mention what time of year this wedding is. Have your son and his betrothed chosen a wedding date, or are they looking for a place first? Many places are warm in July, not so many in February.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Ag3046

They should also consider the passport expense and delays currently going on if they chose a place outside the country. Also make sure they understand the marriage laws there. For example, marriage laws in Mexico are more complicated than in most places.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Ag3046

Remind them that the wedding is for their guests, not for them. A destination wedding incurs expense, time off of work, childcare hassles for many potential guests. Maybe better to have a nice local wedding with more friends and relatives, and a warm-weather honeymoon. Those destination wedding TV programs don't show half the expense and stress invovled.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 07:36 AM

I know destination weddings are a popular trend but it can causes problems. Just this past week we had a niece announce a Scotland wedding. The vast majority of the family, especially at the cousin level, would have financial trouble travelng to New York. The up roar in the family has been huge and, of course, the bride is being tag as self-centered, what is she thinking, selfish, etc. Not pretty. I am she will have a story book wedding in a castle attended by both set of parents. Small but memorable.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 08:16 AM

Well, this discussion has been on the forum about a million times...but I don't understand why couples would choose scenery over friends and family. Why not do a great honeymoon? But to each his own I guess.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:26 AM
kp

For some young couples having a wedding in their hometown is a destination wedding. If a couple is living out-of state a hometown wedding can mean using so many vacation days that there is no time left for a honeymoon.
DD is getting married in Italy this summer. They will have a hometown reception(cake, dress, flowers, DJ, dinner, photographer, etc.) when they return.
This seems to be a nice solution for everyone.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM

Tell them to check out the destination weddings board on theknot.com - it's extremely helpful and full of brides (so maybe your son should pass this along to his bride-to-be!) that are doing this exact same thing.

We got married last year in Mexico at one of the Palace Resorts - wwww.palaceresorts.com - and had a wonderful experience. Paid for the wedding ourselves (and no, we didn't pay for our guest to attend - that isn't at all common practice with destination weddings, so they shouldn't worry about that) and wouldn't change a thing!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Just like NYCgirl, we attended the wedding of a close friend at a Palace Resort in Mexico last month. It was fabulous! The bride and groom had relatives from the Southern U.S., and the groom's relatives were from the Rocky's. We stayed at Aventura Spa Palace (about 1 1/2 hrs. south of Cancun), and it couldn't have been more relaxing and more beautiful. Everyone said they would do something like this again. It was relaxing for the wedding party and also the guests...no stress. The resort took care of every little detail. Yes, it is expensive, but we were honored that we got to share in this very special occasion. Would highly recommend it to any bride-to-be!
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to alll and especially travelnut and nycgirl. I think they are planning for a wedding in 2008 and could wait until after April 15th when the rates are lower. They are not planning on paying for their guests but I am sure it will be a small group no more thann 30 or 40 people. I have shared all your responses with my son. For the palace mexico weddings how far in advance did they plan the weddings? Thanks again for all your tips. H
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 11:53 AM

I always think a destination wedding, if done at all, should be at a location the couple has visited, and recalls fondly. When I was visiting the Latin America board a lot to plan a trip to Costa Rica, I was amazed at how many people had never been to central America, but were looking for a desination wedding location there. Gosh, what if you get there and don't like it?

Of course, one of my law partners was thrilled when his daughter chose a desintation wedding in the Napa Valley (which the family had visited several times before). He wasn't paying for any guest's plane fare, and it was much less expensive to throw a wedding for 80 in Napa than a wedding in Dallas for 400.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM

BIL and fiance got married on the Big Island of Hawaii. They were married in a garden at the Waikola Marriott overlooking the A-bay.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM

Not sure what they would consider reasonable--weddings are expensive! We were at the Peace Lodge in Costa Rica. A couple had their wedding next to a waterfall and it looked like such a stunning location. The rooms are pricey, but for a small number of people, it would be a wonderful.

And for most weddings I've had to travel, so for me almost every wedding is a "destination"! Best of luck to the happy couple!

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I am Officially Opposed to destination weddings, as they presumes that the bride and groom expect people to spend tons of money and vacation time to get to their wedding. But as coolbluewater brings up, with today's mobile society, folks not living near their relatives, etc. lots of people have to travel for any wedding. This summer our "destination" is Cross Lake MN for a niece's wedding.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM

I actually can't think of anyone whose wedding I would go to Europe/Hawaii or that sort of distance for. Even my own kids! (unless, maybe, if they were living over there).

Now if somebody wanted to pay for me to fly etc., that might be different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -