Destin/Fort Walton Beach

Search

Destin/Fort Walton Beach

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2005, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Destin/Fort Walton Beach

Hubby and I are going to Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area next month. The hotel prices are outrageous! Want to stay somewhere close but I'm afraid of getting a hotel in a bad area, like we did when we went ot Miami last Feb. Can someone who's from that area, or has been there give me any ideas? Thanks!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

sorry..need to bump this...don't want it to get lost
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Last October, we stayed at the Radisson in Ft. Walton Beach. It was directly on the beach (no road in front of hotel), had a very nice pool with a lazy river which was fun to float around. Recently renovated room had 2 queen beds, mini fridge, and great view of pool area.

We'd stay there again in a second!
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 08:40 AM

This is really more of a condo area than hotel destination. Consider looking for condoes in Destin/Fort Walton, or further east in one of the smaller towns like Seagrove Beach, ewtc. You might check out vrbo.com or a realty company in the area.
Old Jun 4th, 2005, 03:16 PM

Have you tried the Hilton Sandestin? Usually it's not TOO high in price and it is a nice resort. I have also stayed at the Hampton Inn right at the fork in the road, I guess it's where 98 splits into the scenic 98 and the regular 98? it's pretty new and reasonably priced, but not right on the beach.
Old Jun 8th, 2005, 06:33 AM

I live in FWB and would be happy to help with any questions you have. The Radisson is nice and right on the gulf, so it doesn't get much better in FWB for the beach. As mentioned by "marilynl," this is a huge condo area and definately drives the prices up. The problem with the Radisson is that there isn't much around it. Just to the east of the hotel and up to the Destin bridge, the land is part of Eglin AFB and basicly undeveloped. So if you're looking for a quiet, beach and don't mind driving to the prime shopping areas, the Radisson would fit the bill.

If you're looking for a bit more excitement and want to be "closer to the action," such that it is, I would look in the direction of Destin. Just about any room I can think of directly on the beach in this area however, will be a condo and you'll have to be prepared for that expense. Destin is very nice, but targets the tourist and the traffic has gotten outrageous. It's only a 5-10 minute drive from the Radisson to Destin so it really boils down to what you're wanting. I believe if its just you and hubby after the beauty and solitude of the beach you could be very comfortable with the Radisson. In our area, I don't believe you have to worry about ending up in a bad area here, but you will certainly want to stick to the beaches since that's usually the draw to our area.

Would also be happy to make eating and shopping recommendations. Feel free to e-mail me at [email protected].

Enjoy your visit.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 08:59 AM

We've gone to Destin about 5 times in the summer. We stay in the Crystal
Beach area. There are condos and rental vacation homes. Two big vacation companies are Abbott Resorts
(I think they're called ResortQuest now) and Dale E. Peterson. Have a fantastic time. The blue/green water is so clear and breathtaking. A great place for families.
Old Jun 9th, 2005, 10:24 AM
bonniebroad

J_Mac, I have e-mailed a question to you .... we may be swinging by your way on our return drive from Indian Shores. We are looking for pet-friendly places in your area for a couple of nights. Thanks!