Destin

May 10th, 2006, 06:04 AM
Original Poster

Destin

We are in the process of planning a trip to Destin, Florida (9 Days - 6/4/06 thru 6/13/06). Have never been in that area before. Need information on where to stay - hotel or condo. We would like to be on the beach. Hopefully, the beach has not been destroyed by the hurrican!!!! Since 9 nights is a lot to pay for, we are looking to mix it up, some expensive and some inexpensive places. Would appreciate any info......
May 10th, 2006, 07:38 AM

Perhaps I can help a little. First of all, Destin has very few hotel rooms compaired to condos. I would guess that Destin is at least 90% condos. Since you are planning to move at least once while there you might consider staying in Panama City Beach, where more less expensive options are available (motels) for part of your trip, then going to Destin and renting a condo.

Also, remember, you can save money with a condo by buying groceries and eating some of your meals in.

Don't worry about the beach. It is beautiful. Beach restoration has been going on for a couple of months and is almost complete.

Also, Trip Advisor has a very active Destin board and quite a few locals and regular visitors post. I am sure you could get names of specific condos etc. that would meet your needs. Do a search on TA first. Also check the Panama City Beach Board

And have fun. You are headed to some of the most beautiful beaches in the country!
May 10th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I just want to advise you that June is the busiest month in Destin. It gets more and more popular every year and thus becomes more expensive.

I'd suggest that you read about the Beaches of South Walton, which are about 15-20 minutes from Destin but 1) less crowded; 2) better in my opinion in terms of water/sand; and 3) have more reasonable condo rentals. Some of the beaches are Seagrove Beach, Seaside (pricey on property), Grayton Beach, Blue Mountain Beach.

We are actually going to Seagrove Beach this afternoon for the weekend after a particularly crowded visit to the Sandestin Hilton this year. We wanted to find a more relaxing place to go, and I found our rental thru www.garrettrealty.com, which has been really professional. You didn't say how many bedrooms you need but they have a good selection of affordable rentals. One thing I like about them thus far is that they only put a $100 authorization on your credit card for damage rather than the $500 check other places require.

May 10th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I would agree with Mah1980 - check out the Fort Walton Beach area. I would also try VRBO.com for a nice rental.
May 10th, 2006, 10:50 AM

From my experience, most people rent condos/houses with kitchens and park themselves on the beach for a couple weeks. We have been doing this for 20 yrs and never tire of it. There are a few resorts though so I guess you could move around if you wanted to. We rarely eat out, go to clubs, etc... and I am really not sure, but I think Destin may be one of the more expensive spots in the area. Look west for fewer crowds and maybe better prices.
-Katie
May 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I live near Panama City Beach, and there are very few hotels left. Most have been demolished to build high rise condos.
I just spent a long weekend at Seagrove Beach and would agree with mah1980 about trying Seagrove beach or other beaches in South Walton COunty. There is very little to do at night other than eat, but the area is beautiful and not as congested.