Denver to Leadville rush hour traffic

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be heading out of Denver on a Monday morning next month. Our hotel is Doubletree Tech Center on Orchard. Google maps routes us up I25 to I70. Is this the best route in rush our traffic? Is there a suggested scenic route. We are headed on to Basalt, but want to visit Leadville on the way since we have the whole day to travel.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 12:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I believe the only other option is Highway 285 where you’d wind up in Buena Vista. Nice drive. Then a slight detour up to Leadville. You’d have to backtrack a bit to the Independance Pass turnoff, which should be open by then.

Hopefully the Denver experts will chime in.
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 01:57 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd take 285 - more scenic and less stressful than I-70 (which we try to avoid at all costs).
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 06:20 PM

You can also take I-25 south to C470 which will connect you to either 285 or I-70. Or take Orchard a few blocks west to Quebec then left (south) which will bring you to C470. I'd check traffic on Google that morning and then make a decision.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the replies. I will definitely check the traffic on google before we leave and decide then. The scenic route sounds like a nice option.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 09:59 AM

Some of those people don't live here. C470 is currently under a massive amount of reconstruction between I-25 and the foothills. Becoming six lanes with toll lanes. It can be a problem anytime of day and rush hour is impossible. So ignore wtm003.

Not sure why Google would run you up I-25 to I-70. That doesn't make a lot of sense. Lot of back tracking. You have a couple of choices. Personally I would take I-25 north to 6th Ave and head west. 6th Ave looks and feels like an interstate, four lanes, divided, limited access. In the morning you could have some traffic issues till 6th Ave since north I-25 would be inbound to downtown. Once your turn on to 6th Ave it should be easy sailing west to I-70 and into the foothills. Follow I-70 to the Leadville turn off just beyond Frisco. Georgetown just prior to the tunnels is an interesting old Victorian mining town and old narrow gauge railroad. Worth a visit. From Leadville to Basalt follow the directions below over Independence pass.

If you truly want a scenic route and a bit slower. Get a good map to follow this --- Just north of the hotel a couple of exits on I-25 is Hampden Ave - also 285 south. Head west. It is four lanes but it will be slowing going with stop lights, etc., for a few miles. But it is outbound so traffic should not be too bad. On the west side, beyond Santa Fe it opens up pretty well - all four lanes. Follow all the way to Fairplay and state hwy 9. It is four lanes and traffic should be pretty light. Have a full tank of gas. Services are limited. At Fairplay you hit a mountain ridge with no good roads across so it either up to Breckenridge over Hoosier pass or south to Johnson Village. But since you want to hit Leadville, you need to head to Breckenridge (Hwy 9) and then on to Frisco to catch !-70 to the next exit to Cooper Mt/Leadville. You coming out of a box canyon and need to get around the open end at Frisco. Hit Leadville and continue briefly south on 24 till the turn off to Independence Pass (82) and into the back side of Aspen. From Aspen it is short drive down valley to Basalt. If you have time one of the hidden gems in Colorado is the 12 miles, Mineral Belt trail in Leadville. It is a loop hiking/biking train and hard surface.

It is an easy drive. Mostly four lanes except for the road over Independence pass into Aspen but some of the best scenery in the state. Some do not like to drive Independence pass. Min guard rails, no shoulders with hair pin, switchbacks so take your time. The views are great. Good luck.

Last edited by fmpden; Jun 3rd, 2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 11:18 AM

Opps --- cannot edit. Near the end -- The Mineral belt trail is a 12 mile, hard surface loop trail -- not train. Sorry about that. Great on bike since it is nearly flat -- one big hill.
Old Jun 3rd, 2019, 02:00 PM

Fmpden, I'm saying this as nicely as possible, but are you always a jerk? Everyone who responded lives here. Traffic varies here all day long so I always check Google maps before heading out because I don't want to sit in traffic on I-25 thru the Tech Center when there are other better options. I drove C470 Friday morning and luckily didn't hit any slowdowns. Like I said checking Google for traffic is the way to go.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by fmpden
Some of those people don't live here. C470 is currently under a massive amount of reconstruction between I-25 and the foothills. Becoming six lanes with toll lanes. It can be a problem anytime of day and rush hour is impossible. So ignore wtm003.
That is just rude. And stupid. Your attitude that you are the only true expert on everything Colorado because you live there is ridiculous.

As wtm003 said, check google maps before heading out.
Old Jun 4th, 2019, 05:56 PM

Well, I probably do know more about than you do since I am at the intersection of Colorado Blvd and University Blvd and less than a mile from C470 and see it every day. It is a mess today and probably not a lot better next month. Pile on if you like, I just consider the source.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. I have made note of all the routes and will check traffic the morning we leave to decide. We will most likely take the back roads as that is our style.

Thanks again everyone.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

One more question. Any recommendations for moderate priced restaurants near the Doubletree Tech Center? We will be there 3 nights. Open to most food including ethnic.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 02:12 PM

Cafe de France and Del Friscos steak...lots of the big chains in the area and independent places.
Old Jun 5th, 2019, 03:02 PM

Our kids live right there. Lots to eat. There's a wonderful sushi restaurant--can't remember the name. A good Vietnamese "hole in the wall" noodle place. Mongolian BBQ. Look down on Arapahoe on the west side of I25.--more things there than on Orchard.
I think Pappadeaux's is still in the area.
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!