Search

Denver Mint

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denver Mint

I know this topic has been discussed in the past, but I wanted to see if there are any fresh opinions regarding same.

We'll be going to Denver in a few weeks, and my boyfriend really wants to go to the Denver Mint. I know that we'd have to contact our Congressman to arrange it, but I wonder:

1. Is it probably too late?

2. Is it worthwhile?

Thanks!
Old Jul 29th, 2005, 08:48 PM
TheWeasel

According to their website, they accept same-day walk up reservations (if space is available). It doesn't say anything about contacting your Congressman.

http://www.usmint.gov/mint_tours/ind...?action=denver

I've never been there, but if your boyfriend "really" wants to go, I guess it would be worthwhile to keep him happy.

Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Weird, because the US Dept of the Treasury's website says to contact your Congressman to arrange a tour. I'll just have to contact the Mint to find out.

With regard to my point #2, has anyone been to the Mint, and is worth the time to stand in line and get tickets?
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Reminds me of when I first moved to the Wash, DC area. We took out of town family to them mint...but instead of currency...they were printing gas ration coupons.
Old Jul 30th, 2005, 09:40 AM

As of this spring you don't need your Congressman's approval. The tour is about a 1/2 hour. Show up early to get a slot for that day. You can't call and get a time.
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

bringing this back to the top to see if anyone else had comments about visiting the Denver Mint.

thanks!
Old Aug 2nd, 2005, 06:52 PM

My info is really old. I took some family to the Denver mint in July, 2001.

We didn't have reservations, passes from our senator or anything. We waited in a short line and went on in during a weekday.

I thought it was interesting, but I always like manufacturing. I find it fascinating to watch anything made. I'm a theoretical, software kinda dude, so seeing actual things made always interests me. (I still haven't figured out how a copier picks up one sheet of paper at a time. )

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Congressman invite is no longer needed. However, I read a letter to the editor in a magazine recently, despite their "just show up" policy advertised on the web site, the letter writer was turned away stating that tour tickets for a whole week are given out Monday morning and others are turned away with no standby policy.
Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

I called the Denver Mint hotline today, and the message indicates that the ticket office opens at 7 am and that tours run from 8 am to 3 pm. Its first come, first serve; tickets are only provided for that day; and no phone, email or mail reservations are accepted.

Old Aug 4th, 2005, 07:42 PM

For what it's worth, we took the tour in June of '99. We found it quite interesting and definitely worth the wait. I know we did have to wait, but don't remember it as being terribly long.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Visited the Denver Mint today. The ticket office opens at 7 am to get a reservation for tours that run from 8 am to 3 pm. Its first come, first serve and free! I was at the ticket office at 8am and was able to reserve 8 tickets for the 1pm tour. The "line" took maybe 5 minutes. You need name, birth date & SS number for the adults when you make the tour reservation. The tour is about 30 min and very interesting. There is also a small gift shop where you can get some freshly minted coins. There is also free 2 hr on-street parking about 3 blocks south of the mint or about $3 for all day in the lots 1-2 blocks south.
Old Aug 18th, 2005, 11:15 AM

SummitNet thanks for the update. I tried to visit in early June and ran into the problem that BarryK mentioned. I showed up on a Wednesday morning and all the tickets for the WEEK had been distributed. They told me to come back early Monday. I told them to correct their website or at least follow their policy. I'm glad it worked out for you.
Old Aug 20th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

I just returned from Denver (am working on trip report)and we had no luck getting in to Mint.

Our line moved very slowly, and the "cut-off" for the day was about 3 people in front of us.

Maybe next time....