Denver Airport, driving North and 1st night accomodation,

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are due to arrive at DIA on Sat 2nd around 18:45. By the time we check in and pick up our car I guess it will be another hour or so. We would like to put in maybe up to an hours drive heading North before checking in for the night. Questions:

1. How easy is it navigating out of the airport probably onto I25 though maybe 85 is an option?
2. Can you suggest a motel within an hours drive - clean but cheap - we've used Suoer 8's in the past and theyve been fine.

Over to you guys!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 01:23 AM

In looking at Mapquest (CO map and zooming in) if e470 is "connected/finished", it goes to I25N and you could probably stay in Fort Collins.
We never go that way so unfortunately I can't talk from experience. It should be an option.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM

I did answer you--thought so. To find your past posts, just click on your name and they will come up so you don't have to re-post.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Gretchen, I thought I had posted it once but then couldnt find it - supposed to have gone in Colorado forum but not there! My machine crashed this morning so I doubted myself. Now it seems I have 2 posts but once again neither are in Colorado - doh! Is there a way of moving it from wherever it is?
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:26 AM

There is no "Colorado" forum. There's just "united states". Both of your posts are here. When you specify "Colorado", it just helps with other people searching for the post.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM

You want to take I 25 North to Fort Collins for the first night. There is a quaint downtown main street type area with good resturants too. It may be a bit over an hour...no more than an hour and 30 minutes from the airport.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Sorry about this - newbies eh!

Does Colorado have to be in the title to be found in a search?

I'm confused!
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:38 AM

Like Gretchen said take the e470 it's a toll road to I25N. It's easy and fast. Then drive as far as you want, Fort Collins or to Cheyenne WY.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Krissie, get a google map of Fort Collins

Use "find businesses" to look for hotels - and their locations

Search functions can be confusing - If someone "marks" a post in "Colorado" it may be found - or if someone uses "Colorado" it may be fine - but nothing is definite on this board.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM

Krissie - No, you don't need to have Colorado in the title. But if someone search for "airport accomodation" without specifying a state, then they may get 100 posts in the last 2 months alone.

But if one search of "airport accomodation" and specify the state, then they'll get fewer hits and yours will come up at the top.

That's all.

Since your title is clear enough, as there's only one Denver in the US, the title is fine. You can specify Colorado or leave it in General Interest. No difference to you.

When you want to see threads that you've posted in (whether you started it, or just replied in), just click on your own screen name and they'll come up on the short list.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Do a google map search for the airport with directions to either Fort Collins or Cheyenne. Then type hotels for which ever city you want to stay in. I'm guessing you are heading to YNP? I always want to get as far as possible the first night and Cheyenne is a good stopping point. There are several motels off of I25 that are rated good.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 11:58 AM

Take e470 to I25; it will cost $4 total, but will save time and is easier than alternatives.
If your checked luggage takes forever, the trip to the car rental takes even longer, and you are tired, go to Loveland (many new motels right at the outlet exit), before Fort Collins. Loveland would be easiest for motels/restaurant access right off the highway.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Having got my msgnifying glass out to look at the map I can now see where the airport is and e470 looks good to me then I25. I'm always tempted to prebook the first night accomodation as I know we will be a bit weary and it will be 24 hours from leaving home but then again if I do manage to sleep over the Atlantic (and I have a reputation of being able to sleep anywhere anytime) it is good to put a few miles on the clock to make day 2 a little more relaxed. Our route is from Denver to Cascade Falls area on day 2 then to Belle Forche, Buffalo, Cody, 2 nights in YNP, Dubois and then 7 nights on a ranch near Alcova, with another overnight stop on the way back to Denver. The inbetween stops are only pencilled in at present (apart from Cody, YNP and the ranch) - still a lot of research to do.

We travel 2nd June which I believe is high season - should we be planning to prebook most of the accomodation en route or can we risk remaining flexible over how far we get, and where we spend our "leisure hours" as we go?
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 12:46 PM

Prebook Cody and YNP (if you are staying in the park, especially).
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sylvia. YNP already booked and I have my eye on a place at Cody!

Just picked up a mail to find our arrival flight times have changed and we dont arrive til 20:55 which is a real shame. Still hope to put in some driving but will now be stuck in Orlando Int'l airport for 4.5 hours - that is not going to be good.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 01:04 AM

You really might just enjoy staying at the airport that night and getting a fresh early start the next day. By the time you get baggage and your car rental it could be after 10PM.
If you can bid on Priceline for an airport hotel it could be very cheap.
Old Jan 21st, 2007, 07:33 AM

I agree with Gretchen, it'll be v.late by the time you get bags and rental car. Try priceline for an airport hotel and get an early start the next morning.