Search

Denali Shuttle Bus

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2006, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Denali Shuttle Bus

Hi. I've read on the boards that it's best to take the first shuttle out in the morning. Just wondering why? 7 AM is a little early for me, but I would do it if it was worth it. Can anyone explain? Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 03:24 PM

The legend is that there is more wildlife out in the morning. Frankly, I doubt this. In the summer, the sun hardly even sets, so it shouldn't make much difference when you go if wildlife viewing is what you are after. Be sure to take the Tundra Wildlife Tour and not the Natural History Tour. The latter does not go as far out on the road as the former.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:38 PM
KMK

There is the perception that there is more wildlife in the mornings. The bus driver told us there is more wildlife seen on the early morning shuttles (true or not, I don't know, that's what he said, and our driver was a long-time driver). I do know on the day we went, we saw a lot of wildlife (including a grizzly, and a fox trotting down the road with a ptarmigan in her mouth!) on the morning ride out, but almost nothing on the ride back in the late afternoon.

The other advantage is if you want to get off to hike, you have a lot more time before you have to catch one of the later buses back to the entrance.

Depending on where you are coming from for vacation and how soon in your trip you hit Denali, 7am may not seem early - remember, it's 11am on the east coast.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:58 AM

The shuttle is COMPLETELY separate from the tour buses which I never recommend for independent travelers. My min. distance in via the shuttle is Fish Creek, mile 63. The triple cost Tundra Wilderness tour usually goes to mile 53.

I am always on the first bus out, benefit are the wildlife opportunities, bears by far are seen more often in early morning and late afternoon and evening. As mentioned, plenty of time for hiking, taking later buses back, staying over at the Fish Creek Visitor Center, etc etc. Everyone needs their own pair of binoculars, at least 10 power is my recommendation.

Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses! I will definitely take the first shuttle out if there are more opps for wildlife spotting.

However, we are going on 5/30 and the website says the busses only go to Toklat on that date. I hope I'm not missing too much. If so, I guess I'll have to come back!
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 07:13 AM

Yes you are missing 10 miles and PRIME bear habitat. If at all possible, it is superior to get to at least Fish Creek, which is my min. recommended distance in.
Old Jan 22nd, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

When I booked my accomodations at Denali Lakeview Inn, they told me that last year the shuttles started going out to Fish Creek earlier than what was originally scheduled. Anyone know if this happens frequently? Should I wait to book my shuttle bus when I get there in case they are going further into the park than originally planned? Thanks again.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 01:05 AM

You need to call them, they have an 800 number and verify if this happens?? I would make the booking you can and upgrade if they start earlier.
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 05:57 AM

We went early last summer, and did the Kenai first in order to get the longer Denali shuttle bus tours. It was raining/snowing the first day we went (bus windows fog up--can't see a thing), and the driver told us that due to the warm weather they were having, they did start the Fish Creek trip early. The next day we took the shuttle bus it was clear weather and we saw LOTS of wildlife, including the big 5. Also, we did the earliest available (I think it was 6:30 AM).

We didn't complain about the first shuttle trip's weather, because on our drive from Anchorage to DNP the day before, Denali was visible all day and we enjoyed an unplanned summit flight.

You will love Alaska! Enjoy your trip!