Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

TAPAS in Barcelona - avoiding overprices tourist fare.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello fellow Fodorites!
I'm looking for names of reliable Tapas Bars in Barcelona who offer good tapas. I understand there's quite a market for serving cheap unappetizing tapas to unsuspecting tourists. Would love to "tap" your experience!
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:24 PM

i've been waiting for an opportunity to do this!! just went to barcelona in november. before people tell you to put this in the europe forum...

1. cal pep...opens at 8pm only, and there is a line so get there early! no menu, they just put stuff out! awesome!
we went back twice that week.

2. vineria del cal...my personal favorite. it's on a very very very small street, walkable from la rambla. but please don't miss it!
we tried to go back, but it was friday and very busy. a bar across the street, "salteria" is really special. so small, so barcelona. just have a little wine to spend some time.

for something fancier....cal majo.
it's on the beach. my fathers favorite that week. very long story short, but the bartender from our hotel le meridien was having lunch there with his whole family! said it's his favorite in the city. he let us have his table just as they finished (won't find more pleasant people than in barcelona!) because we didn't have a reservation.

the idea is to have a big lunch, and light tapas at night!

remember...they eat LATE in barcelona. like, 9:30. so either get a res or get there just before 9. (generally speaking, for all places in barcelona without a ressie)
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I think you might want to re-post your question on the Europe site.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Otto, thanks so much! This is exactly what i was looking for - and on the wrong forum even! I realized my mistake right after pushing the POST button. I didn't get as useful a response as yours on the Europe forum, yet! So again, muchas gracias!
Old Jan 23rd, 2006, 06:25 AM

glad to have helped. i can still taste the pan con tomate, olive oil, the chorizo, etc...have good walking shoes, and enjoy barcelona!!