Debit Cards [interac or plus] 4 or 5 digits?

Jul 1st, 2002, 12:49 PM
jan

Debit Cards [interac or plus] 4 or 5 digits?

Not a troll, sincere inquiry.
I was recently in my bank ordering a new debit card before my vacation. The teller suggested I change my password from a 5 to a 4 digit code as some of the machines in the US will not accept 5 digits. So my ? is what is your experiences? Don't really want to change the code if teller was mis-informed. Would hate to not be able to get cash when I need it.
Thanks for the input
jan

Jul 1st, 2002, 12:55 PM
gail

Before travelling to Europe and Africa, we were told our ATM code was fine BECAUSE it had 4 digits - I would guess that 4 digits is either the norm or becoming the norm. Why not just change it to leave the last digit off so you don't have to really learn a new code.

Jul 1st, 2002, 01:13 PM
Not a banker

jan,

You certainly did the correct thing to come to this discussion board to ask about your bank's policies.

I'm certain we know more than anyone who works at your bank.

Jan, are you blond?

NB

Jul 1st, 2002, 01:19 PM
Sam

"Not a banker" put it more bluntly than I would have but is essentially correct. I often wonder how many times bad info is taken at face value on this site. Ask your bank!!!

Jul 1st, 2002, 01:37 PM
jan

Thanks Gail and Sam
It is for your type of answers I use this forum.
As for NB,
If you want to be critical go to another forum. This should be a forum for people who need help or want to offer help.
The reason I came to the forum is for facts. My bank has screwed up many times and I simply do not trust them, However I was pleased they brought this to my attention. Better to find out now before getting on the road.
Also my banks policies are not law, nationwide - hence my question
Thanks to the good guys
jan

Jul 1st, 2002, 03:37 PM
Suzy

Jan, please excuse the board respondents who are not only rude but also too stupid to understand your question. It's not about yourbank, it's about other banks!

Here in the US, I have had ATM cards from several different banks, and they've always had just 4 digits for their security code. Why not change yours to 4 digits for the duration of your trip, just to be safe, then change it back if you'd really rather have 5 digits.

Jul 1st, 2002, 04:11 PM
Carol

Jan, sorry about some of the rude postings.
I recently went through the EXACT same thing. In Europe you can not use a 5 digit pin (and perhaps there are more US machines that are also adopting this). My banker/neighbor is a good friend as well and I'm positive she gave me correct information. She suggested 2 things:
1. In case of loss or theft,get a straight ATM and get rid of the Debit card (too risky because there are too many merchants where you can just swipe your card and go,especially gasoline stations, so use the kind of ATM card (without the Visa or Mastercard logo on it) that will ALWAYS require a pin.
2. Change my ATM card to a 4 digit number rather the 5 like I use to have.
I did as she suggested above and just returned from a glorious 2 weeks in Europe with no problems whatsoever. Order your new card with peace of mind.
Carol

Jul 1st, 2002, 05:34 PM
??????

Suzy,

It's not about "yourbank", it's about other banks!

You've got to be kidding. What do "other" banks have to do with jan's pin/password (by the way, I really imagine it is a pin # rather than a password)?

jan,

Also my banks policies are not
law, nationwide - hence my

Exactly. That is why it is so worthless to ask the question you did on this forum. If you don't like/trust the bank, there just might be another down the street!

jan,

You never answered NB's question...."Are you a blond?" I think Suzy and Carol are blond as well.

Your question just might qualify for the "Dumb Question of the Day". Thanks for the fun.

??????

Jul 2nd, 2002, 12:20 AM
jan

To?????
Couldn't resist a reply, thought to just ignore this thread as the Dumb and Dumber are attacking once again,
EH ??????
First re my password [you are correct there, it is a pin# and not a password as I originally stated, at least I own up to my mistake and don't just flame people with rude comments and run and hide with tail between legs] Other banks have everything to do with my pin #,while on vacation in another country. Here in Canada my 5 digit pin# has never been a problem.
And yes I am blond at least once upon a time in my younger years and mighty proud of it I might add.
THANKS to the good guys for your input I will change to 4 digits for my month vacation in the States I can only hope Dumb and Dumber will be at home harassing people on their computer and not be out on the streets, my luck I would probably run into them.
Sincerely
jan

Jul 2nd, 2002, 07:38 AM
Not a banker

jan,

Just as I thought!

NB