Death Valley closed need possible plan B

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2004, 11:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It appears that Death Valley NP is closed due to flooding. We are not travelling to the US for another month, but I am wondering what our plan B should be if the park remains closed. We are travelling from Las Vegas to Yosemite and would prefer to have two nights in one place en route. Is Sequoia or Kings Canyon National Park an option?
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 01:00 AM
mpf

Kings Canyon and Sequoia NP entrances are on the western side of the Sierra. On some maps, there appears to have a road going across, but it is a trail. You would have to enter the parks by way of Bakersfield, etc.

Taking Nevada Hwy 95/6 up to Lee Vining and over Tioga Pass would be the best alternative. You may want to backtrack from Lee Vining to Mammoth Lakes or June Lake (20 minutes) for accommodations and scenery.

Hopefully, the storm damage to water supply and roads in DV will be restored prior to your trip.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 06:47 AM

I agree with mpf, suggestion of Hwy's 95 and 6. You pick up Hwy 120 in Benton, CA. This section of 120 is really scenic. This route will be the shortest at 415 miles and 9 1/4 hours of driving time. If it were me, I'd spend one night on the road and spend an extra night in Yosemite if you could!

Another option is to take I-15 down to Hwy 395 and take Hwy 395 up to Hwy 120. You drive along the back side of the Sierra Mountains. This route is about 505 miles and about 10 hours of driving time.

And of course you do have the option of going down to Bakersfield and coming up Hwy 99 into Kings Canyon/Sequoia NP. This route is a little on the boring side, but then you will have time in other National Parks. It's a total of 575 miles and approx. 11 hours of total driving time, not counting scenic driving in the parks.

Utahtea
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:08 AM

WOW...this is the first I heard of this (I was on vacation last week). You can keep tabs on progress here:

http://www.nps.gov/deva/

Check out the flood damage photos!

It would be my estimation that you'll have no problems visiting DV in a month. This was flash flooding and the water has subsided. They'll have everything back in order well before your trip I'm sure. It might even make you visit a little more interesting.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your advice. I really hope Death Valley will be open by the time we get there.
Old Aug 25th, 2004, 08:11 PM
mpf

There was a press release today that stated that some of the roads and services were opened today - 8/25. It looks hopeful that you will be able to enjoy Death Valley.

www.nps.gov/deva