Search

death valley

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 10:34 PM
George

death valley

I will have one very rushed day in Las Vegas in July and want to know of any very quick tours available to Death Valley. Approx 5 hours maximum. Am prepared to fly or go by vehicle

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 02:54 AM
ellynG

We toured Death Valley in July of 2000 during one of our cross-country road-trip adventures. Definitely, DO IT. It was an experience we will never forget.

Yes, it was hot; 120 to be exact. But we agreed that it was more bearable than a 90 degree day 100% humidity in the midwest.

We were also not alone. There were many other people there, perhaps like us; you have to see things when its possible, even if not ideal. The two park lodges were also FULL.

Also VERY interesting....as we drove out of the park at the end of the day, we saw several BMW's stalled on the side of the road, with two being towed away by Pontiac Grand Prixes! Would have LOVED to see that test drive!

Definitely GO, and enjoy the trip!

Old Apr 19th, 2002, 03:20 AM
rqf

It is about 180 miles from LV to DV. By car it is going to take around four hours each way. I don't know if there is an airstrip in DV. Flying is the only possible way to go should such tours be available.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:03 AM
Maura

rqf you say to allow 4 hours each way from Vegas. How much time do you have to allow when you are actually in Death Valley.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:12 AM
janis

I would definitely skip it. I Love death Valley and go there every few years - but it is just too far from LV and too hot in July. ellynG may have had a nice visit - but the heat is not to be trifled with. After a couple of days in LV you will probably change your mind anyway - you will be inside most of the time to avoid the heat. And multiply that for DV.

I am a Californian and am used to the heat - it is true it is a dry heat and easier to take than the humidity on the east coast. But you do not want to be walking around in 120+ temperatures.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:15 AM
John

If you have only one day or less, save Death Valley for when you can spend more time there. You really need a couple of days and a vehicle to see the main sights, and frankly in July the Park Service can restrict access to some areas because it's dangerously hot. If 5 hours is all you have, it's proably not even feasible, and even if you chartered a plane you'd likely be stuck at the airstrip (one at Furnace Creek I think) for lack of transport in the Valley.

There are other excursions from LV that have appeal (maybe you've seen them all) - Grand Canyon flyovers, Hoover Dam (a must if you haven't been there) are a couple.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:19 AM
travellyn

I agree with the posting about skipping Death Valley in July. You are going to be rushed to begin with, and the heat would definitely be too much for me. I went in mid March one year and it was already getting to 100 F in the daytime. I don't think I'd want to go later in the year than April. It's best to go when you can take a day or so for some driving around, walking, etc.

Old May 1st, 2002, 06:23 AM
Ann

I'm with John. Skip Death Valley this trip, but definitely get there on your next trip! It is a wonderful place to explore - but you do need some time. And be sure to take a tour of Scotty's Castle when you get there!

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:40 AM
Anna

If money isn't an issue, you can pick up a helicopter tour in Las Vegas to Death Valley. I think it's about $300 per person. Looked very cool. Decided to was too expensive for me, but may work for you.