Search

Where to next?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Kelly

Where to next?

Going to New Orleans next week, but can't help wondering where we should go next!

The only place we've been together otherwise is Colorado. My husband and I love Colorado, but I've been four or five times and would like to go somewhere else.

He loves fishing and wildlife. I like culture, dining and shopping. Kind of makes it tough!

Anyone have suggestions for us? We're thinking fall would be a nice time to go. Someplace a little secluded but close to some nice shops and restaurants. Maybe a quiet beach area? Thanks a bunch.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Kelly

Guess it might help to say where we're from! That would be mid-Missouri.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:37 AM
OliveOyl

Sarasota might work. You both can have a beautiful beach, he can fish and kayak, you can shop St Armands Circle. There are decent restaurants, a house museum (Ca'd'Zan has just re-opened, Ringling's house with art and circus museum also on property on Sarasota bay) PLUS symphony, opera, and live theater. That pretty much covers all your bases, except secluded. That it isn't, but neither is it that crowded, especially in the fall, and you can always find a few stretches of beach with few people around. All this plus it's 1 hour's drive from Tampa International Airport.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 11:39 AM
xxx

Vancouver, Canada.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 12:58 PM
John

Or Seattle.

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Heidi

Hello,
Have you ever been to Rhode Island?
It is so beautiful here in the Fall. September & October are the best. Kids have all gone back to school, Rates have dropped, The leaves are starting to turn.The water is still warm in September. We have wonderful fishing,lots of history, Even thou we are small "good things come in small packages".Visit our state site Visitrhodeisland.com
go to links like southcountyri. thats the beaches, where i'm from. We have 100 miles of sandy beaches, 14 public beaches, golfing, lots of restaurants.
Wonderful B & B's. Have I convienced you yet???

Old Apr 30th, 2002, 08:32 PM
NorthernGirl

Kelly,
I'd like to suggest Minnesota. There is nothing more beautiful than a Fall day along the North Shore of Lake Superior!

Spend a day driving from Missouri to Minneapolis/St. Paul. By late September, the Guthrie Theater, Minnesota Orchestra and St. Paul Chamber Orchestra should all be in full swing. A day or two in the Twin Cities should fill your shopping urge (try the 50th & France area; Wayzata; Downtown Minneapolis or the Mall of America).

Three or four hours north of the Twin Cities are Duluth (great inland port)and the North Shore Drive. Your husband would love Northern Minnesota! He can bring his golf clubs and fishing rod and be happy for days. The hiking is wonderful and the views of the Lake are gorgeous! Check out www.lutsen.com or www.gunflint-trail.com for some fun places to stay.

Yes, it will be "jacket-weather" in late September. But after a summer in mid-Missouri, you'd definitely find it refreshing!

Old May 1st, 2002, 05:09 AM
Kelly

Thanks for the wonderful suggestions, Heidi and Northern Girl! Will keep them in mind!

Old May 1st, 2002, 09:41 AM
Dali

Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos. You can have the best of all worlds there - great food, great art, an interesting blend of cultures, wildlife, jeep tours, horseback riding, etc. It is a place that would make you and your husband both very happy.