DC short trip report

Search

DC short trip report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 07:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC short trip report

We took a three day weekend trip to DC at the beginning of the month. The reason was to catch the Asleep at the Wheel/Ride With Bob show at the Kennedy Center. I'll start with the show: it was very good, but a little theatrical for my tastes. I'm not a theater fan, so take it from there. I was expecting more of a concert and the show fell somewhere in between concert and theatrical performance. All of the musicians and all of the music were outstanding and the guy that played Bob Wills was very entertaining, and could dance quite well.

We got a room at the Westin Embassy Row via Priceline for $75.00 per night, asked for and got a king room on check-in. The room and bathroom were lovely. No view, but great hotel, great location, and love that Heavenly Bed. Double headed shower was nice too. The room was loaded with a snack tray with prices and mini-bar. We stored our coffee cream in the mini bar and had no problems. Parking was $28.00 per day, and we had intended to move the car but never got around to it. Staff were polite and helpful. We were very happy with the hotel.

We had great weather. Visited all the monuments on the mall. The only one we had not been to before was the WWII monument and I was very disappointed. My father was a WWII combatant in N.Africa and Italy. I was expecting to be moved in some way, but I found the monument to be cold, grandiose, and without a human connection. The wall of gold stars and pillars with the states' names hardly seemed to capture the sacrifice and story of the war.

We visited the Corcoran, the Phillips Collection, and the new American Art Museum and National Portrait Gallery. In the AAM, I loved the folk art section, and the display entitled Americans Now at the NPG was great. But it was a lot of art for three quick days. We probably should have slowed down, but we are art lovers and wanted to see a lot.

We had some good meals, including the box of Krispy Kremes we kept hidden in the room for breakfast and snacks.

Hanks Oyster Bar, and Montsouris were both good. A really pleasnat surprise was Le Tomate, which looked touristy, but where we had a fantastic lunch. I had ravioli with a spinach pasta, gorgonzola and ricotta filling, and a light tomato sauce. It was delicious.

All these were in the Dupont Circle area. We rode the Metro everywhere. Took one taxi down the mall, and the fare was shocking: 10.00$! The "zone" system was explained to us by a nice young man we met, and we were appalled. I didn't think taxi fares would be so high.

I was surprised by how young all the people seemed. We must be getting old, or young people are flocking to DC.

It was a nice quick trip and we had to hurry home on Sunday, as our married DD and her husband were only in town for the day, and we didn't want to miss them.

Wish we could have stayed another couple of days: 4 or 5 days would have been just right. The ride from Pgh. took about 4 hours each way. Not a bad drive at all.
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 08:44 PM

Glad you liked the Embassy Suites.

Why did you come to DC to go to that play if you didn't like it? Just curious. I have never heard of it.
There are so many more interesting things to do.

There were dynamite Venetian painting and Rousseau exhibits in town. If you like art, why did you pay to go to the Corcoran and Phillips Collection instead?

Granted that the WWII memorial is dull but don't take it personally. Most of them are dull but there's always another one. The Air Force monument was dedicated this weekend, so you have a new one to look at next time.

DC has very low cab fares in comparison to most cities. You just have to know where the zones are.

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 04:53 AM

Glad you had a good visit.
I'm curious as to what it was about Le Tomate which made it look "touristy."
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the trip report. We're going Wednesday - it was very helpful!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:59 AM
emd

tuscan, sounds like you really got around and had a great time. I love that new folk art area at the new American Art Museum. Did you see the foil? I kept going back to that one. That in itself is a good reason to go to the two museums in that bldg, IMO.

Tuscan said the performance was very good, just a little theatrical for his/her taste, and that the music was outstanding. I read that as saying they liked it, it just was more theatrical than they would have liked. And I suppose they went to the Phillips because it was directly across the street from the hotel, and maybe because it has the Boating Party and a good reputation. It is a fine little museum, one of my favorites. So is the Corcoran. I saw the Roussseau exhibit at the Natl. Gallery and didn't like his jungles, monkeys, and beasts. To each his own; I don't think you can say just because an exhibit is in town that it needs to be seen, even if it is free, over any other art that a person decides they want to see.

One comment on the cab fares. It is very very confusing. I have lived here over 20 years and it stil confuses me. It is not just knowing where the zones are. You have to know what side of the street to get out of the cab on, as in some areas the zone is different on one side of a street than the other and if the cab pulls up on the one side as opposed to the other, you are paying for another zone. It is be very difficult for a tourist who doesn't know the city to figure out the zone system map, and this is common knowledge. There have been various proposals to put meters in the cabs, and there is a very active effort now to do so. The issue is who will pay for the meters to be installed in the cabs.

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM

I was surprised by how young all the people seemed. We must be getting old, or young people are flocking to DC.

The "filter" for this report seemed unusual to me across the board and it may be a demographic thing. I don't think young people are "flocking" to DC for instance.

Glad tuscan had a good trip. Yes, to each his own.

Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Young people are the engine of DC. Between college students, interns, young staffers, and journalists, young people are everywhere in DC.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 11:32 AM

I'm going Wed with my young person - on her first business trip. She's very excited, as am I! Young people are like the pulse of a city, it'd be sad to find a place with none.

kakalena, I think tuscnalifeedit was making that comment tongue-in-cheek. I certainly didn't read it as being offensive.
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Original Poster

I just spent a half hour explaining many of our choices, and the little dog jumped on the laptop and erased it all. Maybe for the best.

Westin Embassy Row was great.
Love young people and there were lots of them.
Taxi zone system got the better of me.
Ride With Bob is a great show and I recommend it to everyone.

Le Tomate: I think it was just the big colorful signs that got me thinking it was touristy. A friend who visits DC often said he thought the same and didn't go it. It was delicious and I recommend it.

Hank's and Montsouris were both great, too.

It was a fun trip. We'll be back.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 01:05 PM

Zoinks...did someone wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

Great report tuscan!
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mcg. It was a great trip.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Glad you enjoyed your weekend in DC. I have lived here for 35 years and there are still things I have not seen. Don't worry, I have seen all of the "A List" sites many times, but there are a lot of "B List" and "C List" sites.

The newly reopened American Art/National Portrait Gallery (Metro: Gallery Place) is wonderful and I am glad you got to see it. I hope you went up to the top floor to see where Abraham Lincoln's second inaugural ball (just weeks before his assassination) was held. It is a marvelous restoration.
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 06:49 PM
samting

kakalena: "DC has very low cab fares in comparison to most cities. You just have to know where the zones are."

Regarding the above last sentence in your response to the original poster, could you tell me where DC has the 'low carb fares', since you are pointing out the good stuff, cause when I go there, I need to stay on my diet.