My recent museum adventures in DC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 2018, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently returned from a short trip to DC.

We stayed at the Churchill, a recently renovated hotel near Dupont circle. It was very nice and better and cheaper than the Hilton across the street. (there is no pool, however.)

A number of places around DuPont Circle have very appealing happy hours. One we discovered was a place called Sette Osteria. If you sit at the bar, you can get a number of appetizers for $6. We liked the ravioli. A number of $5 drinks as well. A very nice Serbian bartender.

The museum stops were the highlights. The Renwick has devoted all of its space to the Art of Burning Man. A number of the exhibits were interesting for those who have never gone. they have a display of exotic clothes, headdresses, and jewelry. But the most unusual was the chapel that has been built in a large room on the second floor. I was told that the artists came into the museum 2 months before the show opened and built the chapel. It is quite striking with very high ceilings. made entirely of a light wood of some sort and beautifully lit. Guests are invited to contemplate any recent loss, and write a comment about that on small pieces of wood provided. There also is a striking light fixture above the stairway.

I also was moved by the exhibits at the native American museum. There is an exhibit about the trail of tears. there is movie shown about young native men and women who recently took a bike trip along one of the routes followed. It was quite moving for these men and women and was moving for me as a viewer. The museum also has some exhibits about the varied cultural history we Americans have using various symbols of native americans,, from "Chief" to "teepee" to "warrior" to "indian" to "redskin". Of course, the building itself is beautiful and unusual...

I would highly recommend both..
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 01:13 PM

Interesting trip, an not the usual DC museums, thanks for the report.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 02:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
We went to the Renwick a couple of weekends ago expecting the "usual" which has been stored in the Smithsonian warehouses for the duration. I agree that "room" on the second floor really is something to behold but Burning Man is something to behold, too, as the exhibit illustrates and we also enjoyed it. Thanks for posting your report.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 05:13 PM
kja

I now have a plan for the weekend! Thanks, youngtom.
Old Jun 13th, 2018, 11:37 PM

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
We saw the Burning Man exhibit several weeks ago and found it educational and impressive, especially the chapel. The NMAI was one of our favorites when we lived in DC; I ducked in on our recent visit for their "Trail of Tears" exhibit and to admire the serenity of the space. Glad to read you enjoyed your time in DC.
Old Jun 17th, 2018, 07:34 AM

I would like to see the Trail of Tears exhibit. Thanks for the review.
The Inka Road exhibit at the NMAI is also very interesting. And the cafeteria is quite good--government workers in the area often go there for lunch.
Old Jun 25th, 2018, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the report. The exhibits sound fascinating.