Search

DC Metrorail passes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC Metrorail passes

I have a thread elsewhere about our itinerary, but this is a more specific question. We're flying into Reagan on March 27 and figured that, with just a carryon each, we could manage the metrorail from there to DuPont Vircle.

But where do we get passes?

It doesn't look like any are available at Reagan, so buying online looks like our option, right? We figured on the 7-day unlimited becuase we don't want limitations on hours and such.

If we buy them online, how soon should we get them? Is the actual pass shipped, or some e-ticket we have to exchange?

We'll be heading to NYC by train on April 1, but figured we'll buy the subway pass when we get to Penn Station. I'm assuming that, overall, we won't have problems navigating, though Hubby and I are more LA transportation people (drive your car everywhere becuase nothing is close to anything).
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:34 AM

re DC Metro:

You can get the pass at the station. I don't see any advantage to buying it ahead of time but yes, you can buy them online.

http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/passes.cfm#rail
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 11:50 AM

You can purchase the passes from vending machines at the National Airport station. If you are staying in DC, you will not need the $40 unlimited pass, as the 7-Day Short Trip Pass will cover nearly all your trips -- for one or two longer trips, those costing more than $3.25, you can use the Exitfare machine to pay the additional fare.

Here's the info from Metro's website: http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/vending.cfm

"There are two kinds of farecard vending machines:
Those labeled "Passes/Farecards" accept cash and credit cards (American Express, Visa, Mastercard, Diners Club, JCB, and Discover cards accepted) and sell single or multiple farecards and passes: the One Day Pass, Short Trip Pass, and Fast Pass. "
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 12:08 PM

Propita,

The pass vending machines at Reagan are on your right as you enter the Metro station after taking the bridge from the terminal. I have found that the 7 day short trip pass is the most economical if you are planning to use the Metro a lot in a trip of at least 4 days.

When you get to Penn Station, remember that the subway line at the station is limited to the west side of Manhattan. If you are going uptown and to the east side, you will have to take the 42nd street shuttle to get to subways on the east side. If you are taking luggage and/or are near rush hour, you might want to consider an alternative. OTOH, the number 4 bus stops just outside of the station and goes east to Madison Avenue and then north before turning back west on 110th street.

Regarding you LA experience, when I was a student Hans Bethe, a Noble Prize winning physicist, returned from sabbatical at UCLA and claimed to have found a new law of physics; "Everything in LA is at least one hour away from everything else." I thought it was funny until I moved there 14 years later and found out it was true.
Old Feb 22nd, 2012, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info! I couldn't find anything on the wmata or airport sites about passes being available there. How did I miss it?

In DC, Hubby doesn't like the limited hours of the Short Trip Pass. Looks like we might get a WH tour and will have to trek back to our hotel to leave/get my purse and our cameras. He doesn't want any bother of pulling out money in the middle of anything. If he wants to pay that bit more, it's not worth an argument, you know?

In NYC, we're at the Affinia Manhattan, so we're just across the street from Penn Station, though I suspect they'll be a bit of a walk. I saw that, to get to the east side of Central Park, we'd have to either take a subway, a bus, or walk to the east side subways. Hop Stop(?) offers the route to the Met Museum of taking the west side subway to 86th and crossing the Park. The time for either route--crossing the Park or getting to the east side subways--is pretty much the same. And the walking distance ends up near the same I think. If its a nice day, we might just cross the Park. After all, it'll be another part of the vacation as opposed to just another subway ride.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:06 AM

Not trying to change your mind about which pass to purchase, but do want to clarify for others: The short trip pass can be used all the time, you would only pay a surcharge if you make a long trip during rush hours. The fare anywhere within DC should never be more than the $3.25 covered on the short trip card (rush hour fare from Capitol Hill to the Zoo is less than $3.00).
Anyone staying in Md, or in Va farther out than Rosslyn or Crystal City, probably needs the unlimited, but for a downtown location the shortpass is fine unless you intend to go to Old Town Alexandria frequently (and even for that, you'd likely be outside rush hour in one direction).
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

"Pass is valid for seven consecutive days for Metrorail trips costing up to $3.25 from 5-9:30 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. on weekdays."

I interpreted this as the Pass being limited to those hours, period. The thing is, we may well need to go somewhere for lunch, which between 9:30 and 3:00.

"The pass is valid for any rail trip at other times. “

Aaaand ... this is what I did not see, getting stuck puzzling out the first part, instead. You know, normally I’m not quite this dense.

Thanks kayd, for your repeated attempts to pound some sense into my head. You did it AND saved me $30!!
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 07:07 AM

propita I thought the same thing when I was looking for the best option for the Metro last fall. Unfortunately, I never figured it out.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to hear that, but relieved that it wasn’t just me who was confused. Maybe someone else will see this thread title and get things straight in time.
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 01:09 PM

Yes, I think Metro could make it clearer if the two sentences were combined to say: "Pass is valid for seven consecutive days for Metrorail trips costing up to $3.25 from 5-9:30 a.m. and 3-7 p.m. on weekdays, and for any rail trip at other times."
Old Feb 23rd, 2012, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

They kinda did, but split it up and put a short sentence in between. Yours is much clearer.

I've taken notes from postings here, and other threads, and put them into notes on my phone. Like where the vending machines are at National Airport.

I am SO happy I found this site and forums. It's interesting just to read about places.