Washington DC Smartrip card

Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

Washington DC Smartrip card

Can I buy a Smartrip card at Reagan Airport? Will be flying in to Reagan for a week stay in DC and decided the Smartcard would work better for me. Seems like these cards are available at metro stations with parking lots, online and at the Metro Center Station in DC. Know once I have a card, money can be added at any metro station.
Aug 23rd, 2010, 09:56 AM

I don't think you can get a SmartCard at the Reagan Airport Metro station.

I would just order one online:
http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/store/

OR just buy a one-use ticket to get you from the airport until you can buy one downtown at the shop inside the Metro Center Station.

DO NOT bye the 7-Day passes that cannot be used during rush hour (basically most of the day).
Aug 24th, 2010, 04:47 AM

Bardo,

I hope the OP won't mind me stepping in with another question but perhaps you can help me too. I've been considering the 7-day short trip pass for an upcoming trip to Washington. The listing here http://www.wmata.com/fares/purchase/store
does not mention that it's invalid during rush hour. Is it best to purchase the 7-day fast pass?

I am more familiar with London's Underground which operates in zones but I think our trips will all be short from the hotel near the Woodley Adams station to major sites near the Mall.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.
S
Aug 24th, 2010, 05:01 AM

Scootoir,

My mistake, I was thinking of the 1-Day passes (which are USELESS).

You CAN use a 7-Day short pass, especially as you are not staying in the far MD/VA suburbs.

You are correct that any ride from the Woodley Park/Zoo Station to all the tourists destinations will be well under the limit.
Aug 24th, 2010, 08:10 PM

Thank you Bardo, I think we'll order the 7-day passes.