DC Hotel?

Old Mar 31st, 2004, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

DC Hotel?

For our family of 4 trip to DC this July for 1 week, which would be a better choice? Price is same. Hilton Garden Inn at Franklin Square or Radisson Barcelo near Dupont Circle. Hilton has refrigerator and microwave in room and an indoor pool. Radisson has large rooms and outdoor pool.

I don't know enough about the city to know which location is better. We want to have access to Metro and casual dining. We will be taking the car on day trips to Baltimore, Mt. Vernon and Kings Dominion. We'll be touring the White House, Smithsonians, monuments, National Archives, Arlington Cemetary and zoo (assuming we can fit all that in). Won't be going to Spy Museum, Holocaust Museum, Congress, Supreme Court or National Cathedral as much as we'd like to.

Your comments are greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:58 AM

The Radisson Barcelo is the better choice for three reasons: location, location, location. Dupont circle has the best dining choices in the city (in all price ranges) and is a much more pleasant neighborhood than Franklin Square. While both are convenient to the subway sytstem, the Barcelo is actually closer to a subway stop. Use the Metro to get to all the tourist sites you've listed.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bardo - from the station masters map I thought that the Hilton Garden Inn was across the street from the Metro and the Barcelo was 2 blocks away. Thanks for the correction.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 11:36 AM
E

I agree with Bardo on the subject of Dupont Circle, because it is a more lively and pleasant neighborhood after hours (casual dining choices abound). The Barcelo may technically be 2 blocks from the Metro, but it's a short couple of blocks. Have a great visit!
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:31 PM

Bennie,
YOU are correct! I was mistaken. The Hilton Garden Inn is 1/2 block fromthe McPherson Square Metro whereas the Radisson Barcelo is 2 blocks from the Dupont Circle Metro. Even so, I still believe the Barcelo is better located for reasons mentioned.