Search

DC Area Days Inn

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2003, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DC Area Days Inn

Any comments on following Days Inn locations: Alexandria/US Rt. 1 South,or Ari Blvd. Rte 50 in Arlington,or Conn. Ave. in DC. We are seniors traveling with a 9yr old Grandson and will be in DC for 3 days at the end of May.
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:11 PM

I am not personally familiar with these Days Inns because I live in the DC area and do not stay in hotels.

Do not stay in the Days Inn on Rte. 1 South in alexandria or on Rte. 50 in Arlington. These are just ugly locations, esp. Rte. 1.

The one on Connecticut Avenue would be a better bet if you are determined to stay in a Days Inn.
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We'll forget the Va.ones.We are looking for safe areas and inexpensive so that's why the Days Inn.
Old May 14th, 2003, 06:15 PM

Bigo, I have 3 words for you on the subject of the Conn. Ave. Days Inn: DON'T DO IT!
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:13 PM

Can you give details about why you do not like the CT Ave. Days Inn?

There is a hotel called the Lincoln Suites near but not in the Dupont Circle area that friends of mine have used and costs only $99 a night. It does get a good report from anyone I have ever seen that has posted about it.
Old May 14th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Let's see: The room was the size of a closet, the mattresses were lumpy, the sheets were scratchy, the room was musty, the towels were stiff, there was no coffeemaker, paper, pens, and the lamps wouldn't work (turned out to be an electrical problem). Getting the picture? Just an all over yucky feeling. And they pride themselves on being a 5 Star Days Inn (top rating).

On the plus side, the restaurant attached to it, Tesoro, was pretty decent. Obviously, you don't have to be a guest to eat there.

Checked out the next morning and went to the Marriott in Bethesda for the exact same rate--but a world of difference.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:02 AM

I took a look at the daysinn webpage to see where the Virginia motels are at. I assume you are driving in?

The Days Inn on Route 50, across from the Fort Meyer entrance is pretty close in and convenient for driving. But, you will need to check on the Metro access. Probably would require a bus to Metro rail or cross Rt. 50 for a bus into the District.

You said "Rt 1 South". That's Jefferfson Davis Highway. I think you're hotel is the one at 6100 JDH which is not a good location.

There is another one on JDH at 2201 in Crystal City. This across from National Airport and I see that it's rates are about $90 higher than the Rt 50 and Rt 1S locations.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:09 AM

I accidentally posted before I was finished. I would figure that the DI on Conn. Ave, being in D.C. at a similar rate to the VA motels, is probably not very nice.

I admit, I am guessing, since I live in the are and have only driven by these hotels. If I had to choose between the 3, I'd probably stay in Arlington. But not having to make that choice, I'd look around further.
Old May 15th, 2003, 05:30 AM

You didn't ask about it, but I stayed at Days Inn Camp Springs a few weeks ago. It was nothing special, but a fair deal. It appears to be a former Hampton Inn. While I had no problem with the room, and it was stocked with standard Days Inn amenities, there appeared to be a certain "dinginess" to the place - many of the vending machines were inoperative, they charged for ANY phone calls (inc. collect, 800) and charged $1 extra for in-room safe, whether used or not. Nothing in the area that you'd want to walk to either, except ...

The Branch Avenue Metro, at the SE end of the Greenline was about 3 blocks away. I could not see it in the dark when I arrived, but walked it the next day, and had I been staying another night would have walked. There were streetlights and new sidewalks along the way.

Closer to the Ari Blv Rt 50 Days Inn, I have stayed several times at Quality Inn Iwo Jima and have been very pleased with that hotel.
Old May 15th, 2003, 06:08 AM

There are several modest motels (Holiday Inn, etc) in Bethesda that you should investigate. There is a Metro stop in Bethesda; about 15 minute ride to downtown DC. The Days Inn in DC is a good location but it sounds like it isn't very nice.