day trips near Bradenton

Search

day trips near Bradenton

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trips near Bradenton

My wife and I will spend 5 days in the Bradenton area around Easter. I am looking for interesting day trips that are fun and close to nature. Some preliminary research has turned up the following ideas: Bok Tower Gardens, Highlands Hammock State Park, Myakka River State Park, canoeing on the Peace River, and Gasparilla Island/Boca Grande. I would appreciate any feedback or experience with the above, as well as suggestions for other places to go within 90 minutes of Bradenton. Any suggestions on good casual restaurants are also welcome. Thanks!
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 03:50 AM

An easy day trip is to visit the park in Homosassa. You can swim with manatees, or take airboat rides on the river. It is interesting and fun.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Cedar Key and Homossassa would be great destinations.
Old Mar 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Ft. Desoto in St Pete Beach, besides the beach and fort, you can Kayak and rent bikes.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 05:13 AM
OO

Be sure to have at least one lunch or dinner at the SandBar restaurant on Anna Maria. Eat on the deck overlooking the beautiful beach and water. The following website gives you a nice tour...sorry about the annoying music and commentary...maybe just turn your speakers down. http://www.sandbar-restaurant.com/in...out.video_tour
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:05 AM

I agree that both Cedar Key and Homossassa are great trips, but they are definitely further than 90 minutes away from Bradenton.

My parents live in Bradenton; here are my suggestions:

1. Myakka River State Park - take the boat tour on the lake, tons of gators everywhere, it's great to see so many close up. This is a really pretty park - "real" Florida.

2. Ringling Brothers Museum & Home in Sarasota - even if you don't like museums, you will like this - right on the bay, absolutely stunning, and you can wander around on the grounds. It's really, really pretty. http://www.ringling.org/

3. Fort Desoto (St. Pete) - going across the Sunshine Skyway is a treat in and of itself. Fort Desoto isn't just a beach - it's a destination. It's huge and absolutely stunning. Bring picnic supplies and enjoy a few hours taking dips in the water, eating, and walking the beach. http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/05_Ft_DeSoto.htm

4. St. Armands Circle - OK, you didn't mention shopping, but St. Armands Circle is really fun, plus you can eat at Columbia, one of the oldest Spanish restaurants in the state. Make sure you drive down Anna Maria Island and Long Boat Key - it's a really beautiful drive. You can also access the beach near St. Armands and it's a really pretty beach area - highly recommended. http://www.visitstarmandscircle.com/

5. The beaches on Anna Maria Island. It's very close to Bradenton, but don't overlook these beaches - they are really stunning! We like Cocquina Beach (voted #3 beach in the world at one point, whereas Ft. Desoto consistently gets #1), and we also like North Beach on Anna Maria. The water color is really pretty and it's nice white sand. PS You can get breakfast on the beach -- all you can eat pancakes and fresh squeezed orange juice -- at the Manatee Ave beach access.

6. Marie Selby Botanical Gardens in Sarasota. This is a little touristy but I really enjoyed it. http://www.selby.org/

7. Mote Marine Acquarium - it's small but nice. http://www.mote.org/ You could visit this on the way to St. Armand's since it's right there.

8. Desoto National Memorial - this is small but in Bradenton and very pretty. http://www.nps.gov/deso/

9. My favorite place to eat in all of Bradenton, hands down, is Star Fish Company. It's a little hole in the wall and no air conditioning, right on the water. The fish and shrimp are SO FREAKING fresh, it's not even funny. My husband loves their honey pecan chicken. The hush puppies are to die for. And it's really a great price. You will feel like a real Floridian here. http://starfishcompany.com/

Hope this was helpful!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:55 AM

Don't miss the Ding Darling wildlife refuge on Sanibel Island:

http://www.fws.gov/dingdarling/

You'll find all kinds of activities there and TONS of wildlife in a preserved setting.

Enjoy!
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Bradenton to Sanibel in 90 minutes isn't going to happen around Easter!

"The fish and shrimp are SO FREAKING fresh, it's not even funny. My husband loves their honey pecan chicken."
I take it your husband is not a fish fan?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM

Depending on the day & the time of day, 90 minutes to Sanibel is very doable. Avoid rush times? Uh, yeah.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:01 AM

I'd love to see that.

Downtown Brandenton to the nearest exit of I-75 (Daniels Parkway) is just over 100 miles. If you can maintain 70 miles an hour all the way (which I haven't seen happen in a couple years) you've already used up the 90 minutes. I haven't allowed time to get from wherever in Bradenton to I-75. From the exit of I-75 to the Sanibel Causeway is about 20 miles and a good day can be done in about a half hour. A week or two either side of Easter and there is no way anyone can get from I-75 to the Sanibel Causeway in under at least a half hour -- more like 45 minutes. Add the creeping along Periwinkle Way on Sanibel to Ding Darling during the Easter rush -- and you're adding another good 15 minutes on a good day.
Rush hour is Feburary to the end of April.

I repeat 90 minutes from Bradenton to Ding Darling (or even just to Sanibel) in 90 minutes isn't going to happen around Easter. Period. Maybe you're confusing Bradenton with another place?
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:10 AM

Not unless my family members live somewhere else!

70-100 minutes at the right time of day, particularly the week after Easter when I believe most spring breaks are over.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:31 AM

Just under 140 miles total in 70 minutes? OK -- that includes a minimum of 35 miles of non interstate driving with lots of traffic lights that will all be green and no traffic, and still that's AVERAGING 120 miles an hour for the entire trip. But at 100 minutes that's AVERAGING 84 miles an hour. And of course, that's not even slowing down to throw your money at the toll booth, but flying through at 84 to 120 miles an hour? You do the math.

What are you on, Gekko?????
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:39 AM
KMK

In addition to all of the other great suggestions, I also like Spanish Point. www.historicspanishpoint.org

Should be about 30 miles south of Bradenton, a straight shot. You could also continue on and stroll through Venice, FL, and the look for sharks teeth on the beaches there. Casperson Beach is my favorite - very rustic and you can walk forever with no high rises behind you!

Highlands Hammock State Park, which you also mention, is a really neat place to walk around.

Lots of neat hiking trails at Myakka, plus you can also rent a canoe there, and they also have their own boat tours.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM

OK, boy is my face red. I apologize.
I just checked with Mapquest. If the people are coming from the center of Brandenton it is ONLY 120 miles to Ding Darling. So I was way off. That means that they can easily make it AVERAGING only 102.6 miles per hour the whole way.
A piece of cake on a good day with a turbo charged car.
Old Mar 25th, 2007, 11:40 AM

Easy, oldtimer. Don't blow a blood vessel.

More like 100 miles from Bradenton to Sanibel, not 140 .. but who cares? If the OP is intent on not exceeding 90 minutes no matter what, he won't make the drive to Sanibel.

Old Mar 25th, 2007, 02:23 PM

Sanibel is truly fantastic. But it is definitely more than 90 minutes from Bradenton - you have to get out to I-75 and then it's a drive from the interstate to Sanibel proper. I'm not really sure I would go down just for the day, because it is a haul. But if you are staying for a night, it would definitely be worth the trip.

To the person who asked if my husband was not a seafood fan, you hit the nail on the head! It's great that such a fantastic seafood place also has really great tasting non-seafood options - normally, seafood places only have mediocre options.

Venice Beach is really nice b/c of the shark's teeth - my husband & I went and we found several small ones. Is it 90 minutes from Bradenton? Maybe - but my parents are actually right near Anna Maria so it's almost 30 minutes to just get to the Interstate, so it depends on where in Bradenton you are starting from.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions. I will build in additional travel time and/or limit my distance due to the holiday traffic. thank you again!