day trips from San Diego

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
day trips from San Diego

Good afternoon Fodorites,

I will be in San Diego for a conference in October (10/23-10/29). I added extra time to my trip to do leisure activities. I may have three days to play with. Been to Sea World and the San Diego Zoo. I love the beach. I am interested in surf lessons. Where is the best place to go for surf lessons? La Joya? What other things do you recommend doing? I love the outdoors so museums would be out for me. Want to see the natural environment. Don't have a passport (it expired in Oct 2005), but could renew it by mail. I saw a trip to Rosarito Beach in Mexico. I have been to Tijuana four times. Since I love the beach, is it worth it to get a passport to take any side trips to Mexico. Not interested in Tijuana and have been to Ensenada. Anybody been further down the coast? How is Rosarito Beach? This is where they filmed Titanic. I have a rental car as they were cheap on Priceline (I would not take the car across the border...would take a guided tour to Mexico instead). I am staying near the Mission Valley area. Any sightseeing advice for a beach enthusiast/nature enthusiast would be great. Parks would be nice too. Thanks.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
TahitiTams

Hey howie67..
Great time to come to SD..
I would definately go to La Jolla and stroll along the beautiful coastline and great restaurants too..
Torrey Pines State Reserve is a wonderful hike and it is next to the Torrey Pines Golf Course on the ocean..
We used to always go to Rosarito Beach for lobster and Mexican beers at Puerto Nuevo but its so dangerous to get through TJ but you can take a tour down with Contact Tours..
I would rent a bike in Pacific Beach and ride the boardwalk all the way around Mission Bay/Bay/Ocean..great scenic ride..
Have fun.

torreypine.org
contacttours.com
hikebikekayak.com

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:17 PM

For surfing lessons, you can find them in La Jolla. The 3rd link Tahiti Tams gave you has some surfing info. They also do lessons at the Catamaran Resort which is on the bay so water is calmer.
http://www.catamaranresort.com/activ...=nav4&sub=sub2

The beach on Coronado is beautiful. I personally think it's a waste of time to travel to Rosarita on such a short trip. Also, it's not so easy to drive a rental car over the border. Do yourself a favor and stay stateside on this trip.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You can drive east to Cuyamaca (pron. kwee-a-maca) Rancho State Park, do a little hiking and visit Julian.

http://www.cuyamaca.us/

http://www.julianca.com/
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

TahitiTams, Mclaurie and Barbara, thank you for your help. This gives me plenty to do during my free time there! howie67