Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Day trip to Martha's Vineyard from Boston - Is it worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 05:26 PM
traveler

Will be in Boston for a couple of days on business. Will have one day for myself. Having been to Boston before and done all the tourist stuff I was thinking of going to Martha's Vineyard for the day. Is this do-able? Or is it too much? Any one know where I could get a ferry schedule with times for first ferry out and last one back? Was thinking of renting a bike and just touring around.

Old May 10th, 2002, 06:34 PM
mjh

It is great to see Martha's Vineyard, but, unless they now have transportation from Boston by boat, I think it would be too much for one day. Between driving down (hope it's not for the weekend), finding parking, probably taking the shuttle bus to the ferry from satellite parking, waiting for the ferry, the trip over ---and all of it repeated going back, it would not leave much time to explore the island.

I would stay overnight in Woods Hole or nearby rather than drive back to Boston the same day.

Old May 10th, 2002, 07:42 PM
Gene

To answer your questions: It is do-able but do you really want to go through all that effort. As mjh pointed out it would leave very little time on the Island.

The ferry schedules would be at the Steamship Authority or Island Queen out of Woods Hole. Check their websites.

Here is an alternative: Take the fast ferry out of Boston to Provincetown on the tip of Cape Cod. You can bike the Province Lands bike trail in the Cape Cod National Seashore.