Day trip to Kiawah Island

Mar 17th, 2015, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Day trip to Kiawah Island

We are staying on IOP and have guests who would like to visit Kiawah, particularly to take a peek at the Ocean Course (not play), visit the Pro Shop and have lunch at the Ryder Cup Bar there.

Is it possible to visit Kiawah for the day? Is there a charge? I tried calling the resort and they put me through to security. That person was rather gruff and when I asked if there was a charge for the day pass, she said that they would just say where they needed to go when they got to the gate and did not say there was a charge.

Appreciate any help.
Mar 17th, 2015, 05:40 AM

I thought Kiawah was overrated. The beach was nice but our lunch was very mediocre and expensive.

We went for the day and our SIL told them at the gate we were having lunch at the club and they waved us on through. I think if you look the part and act like you know what you are doing, you will be okay.

There was no charge.
Mar 17th, 2015, 05:54 AM

If I were to take a day trip to see a different beach I'd go to Hunting Island, or take the ferry to Bull Island. No golf courses. No development. Just beautiful unspoiled beaches.
Mar 17th, 2015, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. They are not interested in the beaches. He is a big golf fan and really wants to see the courses and visit the Pro Shop. So, as long as we know that he can get into the resort to have a look see, he will be happy.
Mar 19th, 2015, 04:38 AM

If you're going to eat on Kiawah, simply say at the gate that you'll be eating at the Ryder Cup Bar at Ocean Course Clubhouse and they'll give you a pass. And, ask for a map so you'll know how to get there. You should have no problem. Google: Ryder Cup Bar Kiawah and get the phone number to call for reservations.
Mar 19th, 2015, 11:08 AM

How do you think he'll get to see the courses?
Mar 19th, 2015, 11:14 AM

I was wondering that as well Gretchen.
Mar 19th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. The Ryder Cup Bar (Ocean Course) and the Cherrywood BBG Grill (Osprey course)did not take online reservations for lunch so I tried calling, then texting the Cherrywood. The manager explained that you can just say you plan to eat at the restaurant and you will get a pass (as noted by some posters).

My guests were able to get into Kiawah with no problem, enjoyed lunch, shopped at the Pro Shop and got a glimpse of the course. They were very happy with their day.