Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

d-day beaches with pre-teens-which tour guide?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2006, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking our three children (14 yrs, 14 yrs, and 12 yrs) to Paris. We plan to spend one night in Bayeaux area so we can visit the D-day beaches and Memorial museum in Caen. My husband is a big history buff, but having said that, we want the kids to enjoy themselves as well. The kids have very little knowledge of the signifigance of the area. Is a full-day tour with Battlebus or Victory Tours the way to go? Or, would we be better off with a 1/2 day considering the age of the kids? Also, any opinions regarding which Tour company works best with the kids? We plan to make it a private tour regardless of whether we use Battlebus or Victory.
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:15 AM

You should re-post this under the "Europe" section and may likely get more details on that board for tour guides, etc.

I can not be of much help, as we rented a car and did an overnight from Paris staying near the beaches - and did our own touring from guide books - but I can tell you our kids were in their early teens and loved it all - the tapestry at Bayeaux, the Beaches and museum - they will tell you today (in their 20's) that they still remember the moment they saw all the white crosses and the affect it all had on them.

Have a wonderful trip! And when in paris, with kids that age, consider the tour of the sewers - my kids found it fascinating !
Old May 3rd, 2006, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I am new to this forum and am just learning how to use it. I will try to put my question where it belongs!!
Old May 3rd, 2006, 12:42 PM

We did a private tour with our kids a couple years ago and absolutely loved it! We went to the museum in Caen first and spent several hours there. The kids really got a lot out of it. I would suggest having them read or watch movies beforehand so they have an idea. I know you will get more answers on the Europe board, but I just wanted to share our experience.
Old May 5th, 2006, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I went ahead and booked a private tour with Battlebus Company and we will definitely check out the museum in Caen. We can't wait!!
Old May 5th, 2006, 11:39 AM

I have never been to a more solemn and moving place than the American Cemetary in Normandy. It is in an incredibly beautful location and the grounds are immacualte. I went with my 9-year old daughter and had the opportunity to explain about history, freedom and the courage of those men and women.

If your husband is a history buff, I'm sure you'll go to Pointe de Hoc (sp?), but if you weren't planning to go, you should.

Like one of the other posters, we rented a car and drove, staying in a port city on the Channel. It was a great experience