D-Day Sights with Kids

Search

D-Day Sights with Kids

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2004, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D-Day Sights with Kids

My wife and I will be in Paris this August with our 3 boys, ages 15, 12 and 8. Our 15 year old wants to see the D-Day sights (he saw Saving Private Ryan) and my wife and I think it would be a good (although long) daytrip by train. Our goal would be to have the 15 and 12 year old really get something out of it while having the 8 year old as entertained as possible. Has anyone taken kids to the D-Day sights? I am considering a private tour with Battlebus (7-9 hours) since they seem to get great reviews and they claim to do private tours that will cater to my my kids (for example, take them to bunkers they can climb into, bring models, pictures, props, etc.). Any experiences or thoughts?
Old May 17th, 2004, 10:55 AM

I have not had experience taking kids to the D-Day sights but, as with anyone, the more reading they do in advance, the more they will enjoy the experience. The landing scenes in Saving Private Ryan were particularly effective in presenting the landing but there are other movies and books that make good preparation.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:21 AM

we took our 14 and 16 year old to Normandy last August. it was unforgettable. Get a good guided tour. I sound like a broken record, but Michael Chilcott is the absolute best there is. The kids got so much out of the day..we actually extended to 1.5 days because of "dawdling" at one site. Take the kids out to the furthest reaches of Omaha beach (we were there when the tide was out at 6am one morning - not on the tour so don't panic) and had them run from the edge of the water to the bluffs so they could see/feel what the landing soldiers had to do with 100lbs on their backs and gunfire all around. The American Cemetery remains one of the most poignant memories from those days. There are enough places for your 8 year old to enjoy I think - maps, interactive displays, the beach itself, guns to climb on, etc.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:23 AM

We took our kids when they were 7 and 10. We did a private tour with a driver from Paris. Our first stop was the Peace Memorial in Caen...a very moving place! Both of the kids were very interested in all they saw/heard and were eager to see everything. The landing beaches and American Cemetary were great as well...the kids even noticed how young all the men that gave their lives were.

I don't think you need to worry about your 8yr old getting bored at all. We did have our 10yr old watch Saving Private Ryan with us before the trip, and we had our 7 yr old see parts of it.
Old May 17th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Another fine film about the Normandy invasion is "The Longest Day," with a cast full of well known faces (Robert Mitchum, Henry Fonda, Peter Lawford, et al.). It gives an excellent feel for the different areas of the action. The book on which the film was based, by Cornelius Ryan, would be good to read and take with on your trip.
Old May 17th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Personally, Faux liked "The Longest Day" better than "Saving Private Ryan", but, in SPR, the scene where the water on the beaches was red and filled with dead fish was absolutely unforgettable.

Faux took 3 children to the American Cemetery too many years ago to remember it well. Faux thought all 3 children understood what they were seeing. The next year FauxSon was studying World War II in junior high and came home talking about D-Day. "D-Day?" said Faux. "You were there." FauxSon was befuddled. We had been calling the D-Day beaches "The Landing Beaches" (which is the translation for what they are called in French). FauxSon never made the connection with D-Day. I sent FauxSon into school with the photos--which, no doubt, made FauxSon's teacher happy.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:02 PM
BDM

We went two summers ago with our then 8 year old daughter. She loved the diaramas at the museums and really seemed to enjoy herself. It's given her a new respect for those that have made the 'ultimate sacrafice". It was also interesting to see her rolling and playing in shell craters one minute and then kneeling and saying a prayer at the cememtary the next.

We did a 1/2 day tour and that was the extent of her attention span but I suspect she could have done more.

please go, it was a great albeit sometimes somber day but one which none of us will forget.

Brian
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:10 PM

Forgot to add...we took 2 cameras, one with color film and the other black & white. Amazing pictures!!! The black and white ones make you feel like you went back in time...very eerie to look at actually.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM

We took our kids when they were 10 and 13. They had both had some exposure to the history in school and through reading. They both loved it and still remember it, along with Oradour-sur-Glane, as one of the highlights of visiting France.
The Mémorial museum in Caen captivated us for a full 4 hours. We were amazed at how the time had flown. The dual-screen movie is astonishing.
The kids also liked the fact that they could swim and enjoy the beach stuff at Arromanches as well as see more D-Day sites.
And the American Cemetary blew them away. They still talk about it, four years later, and have written papers for school about it.
We didn't do an organized tour, just went on our own with a lot of advance reading and discussion.
Old May 17th, 2004, 08:15 PM

It has been mentioned, but if you choose to do this, PLEASE take the time to go to the Caen Peace museum first. It does require 4 hours and it is the most memorable museum I have seen in Europe. It will give your kids background and help them understand the impact of the war on the area you are visiting. The movie is incredible and the way visitors are directed through the exhibit is sequential and has a high impact. The grounds are beautiful as well. There is also a tribute to all the Nobel Peace Prize winners. If you have the time, you might consider an overnight trip. The Caen Peace Museum in the late afternoon, overnight in Bayeaux, visit the D-day beaches in the morning, return to Bayeaux for lunch and then visit the tapestry, another amazing and historial artifact.
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM

I can vouch for Battlebus tours. Their all day American beaches highlights tour was excellent. But you will really need to go the day before and spend a night in Bayeux since the tour starts there at 8:30am (it ends about 6:00 -- a full day, but worth it). Their website, www.battlebus.fr, has details.
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the very valuable advice. I appreciate your sharing your insights and experiences.
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:28 PM

I would not worry about an 8 year old being bored. We toured the area with our 4,6, 8 and 10 year old kids and none were bored. Each age will get different things from the trip. There is a lot to see and do outside- a great thing with younger kids. We will go back in a few years so the kids can see the area wit h "new eyes."
Old May 22nd, 2004, 03:07 AM

We took our 6&8 year olds and since then they have done school reports etc.,Great learning experience and an opportunity to pay homage to the fallen.
Old May 22nd, 2004, 11:20 AM

This year is the 60th anniversary of the invasions, so check and make sure that accomodations are available when you will be there. I think kids would really enjoy it; they can even climb into some of the remaining gun emplacements.
Old May 24th, 2004, 07:07 PM

My family (2 boys 17 & 10) will be in Normandy/Caen in 1 week. All these are great tips, can't wait. The black & white film; what a great idea mms.
Old Jun 3rd, 2004, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

What specific places did your kids seem to enjoy the most? Any they did not like?
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:07 PM

I just have to answer the last question.

Many years ago some friends took their children on an extended trip to Europe. When they returned, I asked the 8 year-old girl which place she liked best. Without missing a beat, she replied, "The place with the pool." She was referring to the one hotel they stayed in that had a pool.

Her mother and I cracked up. Almost 20 years later it is still funny. Kids are kids.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

Yup, you will get the same answer from many little kids if you take them to Disney World! In my case, the trip to Europe (and the D-Day sights) is really about my 15 and 12 year-olds. The challenge is to entertain the 8 year-old at the same time, since it is his vacation as well.
Old Jul 13th, 2004, 07:12 PM

Europewithkids, sorry to take so long to get back, I hope this gets to you. Our Europe trip in early June was fantastic. I had a big trip report to post; just haven't done it! We were in London, Caen, Normandy sites, Paris and Switzerland. We were planning to do a tour with someone like Battlebus but decided to wait till we got to Caen. We were glad we waited, as we hired a taxi driver in Caen to do a half day trip. The cost was about the same, but much more informative and personal with our wonderful English speaking guide. He took us to Point De Hoc, Omaha Beach/American Cemetary, Batterie De Longues, and Arromanches. They were simply captivated by these places. Point De Hoc and Batterie De Longues with the bomb holes, intact/destroyed bunkers and damaged, rusted big guns (at Batterie De Longues)was riveting. The way the bunkers were built, the concrete, the way the sleeping bunks were attached to the walls in the bunkers, how they built the gun batterys with the concrete in staggered sections so enemy fire would ricochet off, the way you could tell if a bomb came from above or from ships, just the magnitude of history in the area is profound. I sincerely think all three of your kids will be savor the sights. My 10 year old took up the trumpet last year and what made the area even more memorable and touching, he played Taps for me on Omaha Beach (60th anniversary). It genuinely brought me to tears. Hope you all have a great trip! Btw they really enjoyed Paris too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -