Search

D.C. in 2 days

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
D.C. in 2 days

Taking last minute trip to DC midweek to sight see with family for 2 days. . Would like suggestions on where to stay & how to get around, along with how to make the most out of just 2 days. Thanks~
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 06:50 AM

I suggest that you do a search on the word DC, since there's plenty of information available, including a recent thread iwth an identical title.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

I did read thru the other postings, including the 1 that mentions DC in 2 days -- which was a family w/a 3 yr old. This will be with hubby & college age son. We have seen the Air & Space museum & the Musuem of Natural History. Would like to view the monuments & maybe Library of Congress & was wondering if there is a "route" or loop we can do to take in most of the sights. Also, suggestions on where to stay that's either close to the attractions or close to transportation.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 02:37 PM

menglers,

The Dupont Circle area is a nice place to stay. There is a Metro stop there and it's a pleasant, safe area with a variety of good restaurants.

Take Metro to see the Library of Congress - it's just a few short blocks from the Capitol South stop on the Blue or Ornage line. Here's an area map (you'll be looking at the "Jefferson Bldg"): The Metro exit escalator is markes with an arrow:

http://www.stationmasters.com/System.../capitols.html

For the monuments and memorials, the new DC Circulator is the way to go. There is a rout that loops the National Mall (the "Smithsonian/National Gallery" loop). You can take Metro to get to the Mall and pick up the DC Circulator from there. It's only $1 for an all day ticket (per person)! You could also pick up the DC Circulator near your hotel and transfer to the Mall Loop.

http://www.dccirculator.com/
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM

This is one day longer than your trip, but have you tried:
http://www.hemispheresmagazine.com/3...shingtondc.htm
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks bardo1 & MelissaHI -- that's what I was looking for!
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 09:59 AM

Try to book the Harrington hotel(notexpensive and close to most sites) and book the Old town trolley tour for one day;you'll be able to hop on hop off all day.paul
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:14 AM

There is a hop on hop off bus service in D.C. that is good for an overview of D.C. It passes by all of the major monuments. We took the extension that visited Arlington cemetery. It was a very moving experience. The subway system in D.C is also very good for getting around. If you have not been, I can highly recommend the Museum of American History. My favorite monument is the Lincoln Memorial but I also would the Jefferson Memorial, the Vietnam Memorial and the FDR Memorial as not to be missed.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:12 PM

Just a reminder that when you choose a ``hop-on, hop-ff'' bus you know what you're getting into.

There are two primary ones: Old Town and Tourmobile and they vary. The Old Town website still says ``Passengers can get on and off at any of our conveniently located stops as they complete one continuous loop.''

While Tourmobile, which hits the highlights of memorials and museums plus is better for Arlington Cemetery, allows you to backtrack and hop on, hop off as many times as you can during a day.

Both are decent options. And if you don't want to do either, the Circulator buses fill in the gaps where Metro doesn't go.

Can't recommend the Harrington, however. It's got a bad mix of thin walls and loud school groups. Plus it's fairly worn down.

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:38 PM

hotels in DC can be pretty pricey--if you haven't found one you might want to try the hotels in arlington, roslyn,even crystal city--but make sure they are close to the Metro.There are some hotels that are connected to the metro or are across the street. There was one hotel--think maybe it was a best western near courthouse in arlington which was not as convenient,but relatively inexpensive. My niece stayed there last year and thought it was fine. Also has free parking. You have to walk up hill to metro or take the shuttle. Just check with hotel to see how close the hotel is to metro and if they have a hotel shuttle form airport if that is how you are getting there. I always use the Metro as it is quick and near many of the attractions. I never took the tourmobile but it might be helpful. I think I heard something about the American History Museum being closed for renovation or something. My favorite is the American History and then the Natural History museum--since they are free you can stay only as long as you want and even go backif necessary. The Washington Monument is not that far fromt he Smithsonian mall and right in front of it on the side is the WWII monument--haven't seen it but was there for the groundbreaking. Lincoln monument is great, but prefer it at night when it is lit up. Not close to any Metro--have to walk--think we took Foggy bottom once and then drove another time in our car. The Captial tour is interesting, but I would contact your senator or representative's office before going to schedule a tour with their staff--usually an intern does it. Beats waiting in line. From what I have been told the Capitol HIll area can be not that safe in the evening so I would think twice about a hotel in that area. Georgetown area which is fun is not on the metro --need to walk, take a bus or drive. Probably best to see it another time unless you are on a college tour. I always enjoy the trip to Arlington National Cemetary--you go on a tourmobile type vehicle and there is a stop at the tomb of the unknown soldier-you can see the changing of the guard there
and there is a tour of the robert e. Lee mansion. The museums, capital, arlington national cemetary are open during the day. Perhaps save the monuments until the night. Lincoln, vietnam, and korean are all near each other. further up is the WWII and then later is the washington monument(which is not far from the museums).
Another interesting visit is the FBI(again ask congressman if they have ticket for it as there usually is a long line--if you have to do the line--i would skip it for another time--same is true for the White House.) There is so much to see that you have to priortize depending on everyone's interest. The National Archives is interesting also--I don't think they are that far from American History museum. I have seen someinteresting exhibits there besides the permanent exhibit. One of my favorite places is Alexandria--however, that is out of the way and probably good to visit only after you have seen the major sights. I liked the supreme court tour--whichis not far from the capitol, but again that might end up having to wait for another visit depending on how long you spend at the other sites. My kids enjoyed the bureau of printing and engraving --how money is made--when they were young--but then again this site sometimes has long waits. Hope you have fun!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:42 AM

We have been taking the Old town trolley in different cities in the US and you can get on and off as much as you like. For Washington they have 3 loops:
-National Mall and Downtown loop along the way you can change trolleys for the other two loops namely-National cathedral,Uptown and Georgetown loop and the transfer to Arlington cemetery.
You can order your tickets online.The drivers/guides are very good.Paul
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks All. Appreciate all of the suggestions!
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:23 PM

FYI, here's the note from Old Town's own website:

``Passengers can get on and off at any of our conveniently located stops as they complete one continuous loop.''

Perhaps they are more lenient on some days or maybe you got lucky, but this is their written policy.

http://www.historictours.com/customerservice/
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:59 AM

I agree that this is perhaps a bit misleading but I can assure you that you can get on/off the trolley all day long. There is no control whatsoever how many times you go on/off the trolley.This would be practically impossible to do. Paul
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Where to stay?? NOT at the Harrington, well located but very shabby and a favorite of budget group tours. If by short notice, you mean this week or next, you are in luck because the city is deserted and you should get very good hotel rates if you shop around. No need to stay in outer locations with so many empty rooms in the heart of DC.

If you are game for Priceline, the Dupont and Convention Center areas are safe -- in late August, four star hotels should be available for well under $100. Don't do Priceline without reading biddingfortravel.com, though.
Do some web surfing to look for specials at Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, etc. They all have multiple well-located downtown properties and you might find a great bargain.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 07:19 AM

I'd suggest the Spy Museum and the Holocaust Museum...also the Roosevelt Memorial and the WWII memorial. Eat at Old Ebbitt Grill.