Overnight Ferry Parking to Nantucket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our first trip to New England during the latter part of September and wanted to spend the weekend in Nantucket during our trip.

We were hoping to leave our rental car on the mainland and were wondering if there is overnight parking available near the Hyannis ferry station?

Also, is it easy to find a parking spot near the Hyannis Harbor on a Friday midday/early afternoon, or should we expect to wait for a few hours to get a parking spot?
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 02:17 PM

The steamship Authority and the Hy-Line both have pay parking lots. Check their web sites: http://web3.steamshipauthority.com/ssa/
http://www.hy-linecruises.com/

In addition, there are many private parking lots, particularly near the Steamship Authority docks.

Earlier is better. The Steamship Authority has a fast ferry scheduled at 2:55 that takes an hour; the car ferry leaves at 3:00 and arrives at 5:30. You will want to be parked 45 minutes before either departure unless you are very relaxed people. There are significant differences in cost (all on the website)which may offset the difference in time.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 02:27 PM
bonniebroad

Lina1, I just came home from my first trip to Nantucket a couple of weeks ago or so. It was fabulous, and I need to get a trip report done.

We did the Hy-Line High Speed from Hyannis, and really enjoyed it. The seas were choppy on the return trip because of a tropical storm that hit a couple of days before, but you barely felt it at all! I reserved parking in their lot when I reserved our ferry tickets. We arrived 45 minutes early, and had plenty of time to get situated. We paid $67 each for the ferry ticket, $15 day for parking, and felt it was well worth it.

Have a great trip. We fell in love with the place!

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Bonniebroad- Did you reserve your ferry tickets and the parking via the website or over the phone?
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 09:33 PM

There are two ferries to Nantucket - Steamship Authority and Hy-Line. Both have websites. You need reservations only for the high speed trips. The earlier you arrive, the closer the parking. Just drive to the dock entrance, and the gate attendant will direct you to the closest lot with spaces. There are frequent shuttles from each lot back to the dock.

I would recommend, for such a short trip to Nantucket, that you consider flying over and back. You can leave your car at the airport. Flights are more frequent than ferries and the fare is similar to the high speed ferry fare.

About half the time, we take the ferry over (because the approach to Nantucket Harbor is just so beautiful and romantic!) and fly back. You need to reserve a flight back, but they are very flexible. We book a late time (to allow us almost another day on Nantucket). But, you can show up whenever and they will put you in the next available seat. Flights depart often and take only 20 minutes.

Another "trick" of ours is to spend the night at the Anchor Inn in Hyannis. Rate here is much lower than on Nantucket. We've always been able to leave our car for a few days, no charge. And, it's a short walk to the ferry dock from there.

Keep in mind that you will be hauling your bags all about. So, you may want to plan to reducing same to just what you'll need while on Nantucket.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 02:31 AM

djkbooks suggestion about the Anchor Inn in Hyannis is a good one. Several motels offer this stay and park option.

Flying over depends on the weather. Today we are having 25-35 mph winds; flying in this weather in a 9 seater plane is not going to be any fun at all, even though it only takes 20 minutes.

Even taking a fast versus a slow ferry depends on the weather. Big waves mean the fast ferries may cancel or that riding on them is like riding on a plane in significant turbulence. You will have to remain seated for the trip, whereas on a slow car ferry, you can continue to walk around, eat clam chowder, take a nap, whatever.

Finally, a round trip slow ferry ticket costs $28, a Steamship fast ferry costs $59, and Hyline fast ferry costs $64 per person.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 07:22 AM

PS It's best not to book the last fast ferry of the day. If the trip is cancelled due to weather, you'll have to scramble for a room in Hyannis and also pay for your room on Nantucket.