Search

D.C. Fireworks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8th, 2000, 05:55 PM
Shawn

D.C. Fireworks

This may sound like a dumb question, but on what day are the Independence Day fireworks? Is it the 4th or the weekend before? Where exactly are they shot off, and where does one sit to watch? Is it grossly crowded? (I live in Chicago and am used to the million-strong throng at our lakefront.) Also, are they even worth seeing, or should I schedule my trip for a different but more convenient weekend?

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 04:17 AM
ilisa

The fireworks are indeed on the 4th of July. They are shot from near the Washington Monument; the Mall is the best place to watch them. Just follow the throngs of people. Yes, it is grossly crowded. However, Fourth of July in the nation's capitol is unlike any other, and the fireworks are some of the best around. To get a good spot, you must get downtown very early. Among the activities to see, the Smithsonian Folklife Festival on the Mall. Also, the National Symphony Orchestra performs a free concert at the Capitol. You also must stake out your spot very early for that event. We once took a Dutch woman who was visiting downtown for the events (we are lucky enough to be able to watch the fireworks from the White House lawn) and she was absolutely thrilled with how alive the city was and how everyone was decked out in red, white and blue and showing their patriotism.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 05:07 AM
Cindy

There was an article in the Washington Post today that indicated that the fireworks will be especially good this year. They will be 30 minutes instead of 20 minutes, and even louder than usual, if you can believe that. The Washington Monument remains closed for renovations, but it will be incorporated into the show somehow. So I say come on down!

I hope someone will advise you on the best way to come and go. Parkings is a disaster, and the Metro crowds going home overload the system pretty badly. Is Metro providing free transport on Independence Day, or do you have to buy a ticket to ride as usual? Does anyone have the transportation secret?

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 05:27 AM
cheryl

I live in Boston, but we usually spend the Fourth of July in DC. As Ilisa says, there is nothing like it. However, I don't find it crowded when compared with Boston, as the Mall is so large. We usually take a picnic dinner to the Mall at about 4 or 5 o'clock and set up our blanket somewhere between the Washington Monument and the Vietnam Wall. We have no problem seeing the fireworks, and unlike Boston, where it gets so crowded that you must stand, there is usually enough space for people to be playing frisbee until an hour or so before the fireworks. Take Ilisa's advice about the folk life festival, it's wonderful. We always walk back to our hotel in Dupont Circle after the fireworks, it's easier than fighting the crowds in the subway, and it's only about a 20 minute walk.

Old Jun 9th, 2000, 07:33 AM
Ellie

Stay at the Key Bridge Marriot, make a reservation for dinner at the restaurant on the rooftop - you will have the best view in the area; unobstructed, no traffic, and excellent meal, and enjoy the clubs in Georgetown just across the bridge.

My husband works at National Airport and will be on duty this year. I will be stationed out on one of the runways watching from across the river. But trust me, do the Marriot thing. I have been down the mall with the crowds; trying to negotiate the metro, the long lines, the obnoxious drunks.

Ellie

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:28 AM
Ann

If you do get to the Mall early, make sure you bring lots of sunscreen and water. Also be aware that you can no longer bring alcohol to the Mall.

It is worth it--so go at least once in your life. However you can get an excellent view from across the Potomac in Virginia. Cars pull off from the George Washington Parkway, and watch from there.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 07:57 AM
Christina

I live in DC and have been to that but don't think it's worth it myself, but that's just a personal opinion, you'll have to decide for yourself. I'm not big on fireworks, crowds, etc, so it's not worth it to me to spend so much time and misery to see 20 minutes of fireworks. However, they are pretty good ones if you like that kind of stuff. Anyway, I've gotten pretty good seats in front of the Capitol building not far from the orchestra (really the rear of the Capitol, maybe, the hill facing the monument), and you don't have to get there that early -- 6 pm was fine (although I guess that's early if they go off 9-10 pm) and there was still space to sit with decent views, just bring a blanket or beach towels or something to sit on. It can be miserable, that's why I don't like it, it can be 100 degrees or so on that date. And getting home afterwards was a nightmare on the metro, it was claustrophic with pushing crowds who almost pushed people down stairs and trampled them, very scary actually. You can't get on many trains as they are full, but I suppose that part took an hour or more (should be 20 min to where I live, the rest was wait time). I myself wouldn't get a seat that near the monument as there are sometimes rock bands that play down that way before the fireworks and it attracts young rowdy drunk kids. There are often fights, assaults or worse. The Capitol lawn with the pops orchestra is more civilized, you can walk to it not too far from the Capitol South metro stop or Union station. If it were me, I'd stay somewhere so that you can walk to them and not have to worry about transporation afterwards, then I'd consider going.

Old Jun 12th, 2000, 09:33 AM
Dave

I just read that previous post and would like to counter with another view from someone that lives in DC. I have been down to the mall the past 5-6 years and have had a great time every year except last year and that was b/c it was so hot. As far as the drunks and the fights that were mentioned those are centralized from the washington monument to the reflecting pool. Anywhere from the capital to the washington monument you shouldn't have a problem. The metro is awful that day. I would wait at least an hour afterwards to let the majority of the crowds thin out. Some of the best views are from across the Potomac on the Virginia side along the GW Parkway. However if it is your first time the mall really is the best place to watch them. Have fun!