Current weather cape cod/Nantucket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are scheduled to leave this Sunday for Hyannis Port, Nantucket, Martha Vineyard. I am checking the weather daily and it seems the temps have cooled quite a bit. I am also seeing fog daily all day long. I don't see anything but fog. Is this how it is daily? Although the 10 day says "sunny" on the daily currently all there seems to be is fog. I am becoming fearful I picked a bad time. Is there anyone living there that can weigh in? I will be there Sunday-Thursday in the area. Thanks. We are coming from the PHL area.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 07:13 AM

Well, here on the Outer Cape it's very overcast but the fog has lifted and it's 64. Rain is forecast for Sunday, clouds for Monday and sunny for Tuesday. It's only supposed to be in the mid 50's and that will be the coolest daytime weather we have had. But the forecast is often wrong here. Bring layers and you should be fine.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

gomiki,

Thanks for your reply. I don't mind the chilly temps this I can deal with, but fog. I won't see anything!! That is all I can imagine deep dense fog and not see anything at all. But if it lifts usually the sun burns off the fog but if there is no sun---we will be close to 80 tomorrow in PHL. It is often warmer here later than up north. Maybe some of those warmer temps will travel up there. I know this is the last tour this company is doing up there. I am sure that is a weather related decision.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 07:53 AM

It is 66 and gray here in Nantucket. There is now no rain in our forecast after today.

Marine environments are beautiful in the fog, with the foghorns moaning in the background, just as mountains are lovely in the mist -- wintess all those Chinese and Japanese paintings.

I was in Vermont for the weekend, and it rained almost the whole time and the color wasn't very developed south of I-89, but it was a lovely weekend.
Old Oct 4th, 2012, 08:29 AM

You can't expect temps of 80 in that area in Oct - it's unexpectedly high for here - and they are always cooler. The weather you're talking about is seasonal for the Cape and islands
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

I just returned and it was brisk but so it is everywhere. It was fine and I loved Nantucket. What a great place. So unique. We were lucky most of the time some spotty showers here and there but when the sun came out it was lovely. I had a great tour of Nantucket. Hard to believe there is not one traffic signal on the island and what a great history! Martha's Vineyard was ok. Provinetown was funky loved the portuguese soup. Never had any before and it was fabulous!! I loved taking pictures of the Kennedy Compound from the ferry. An era I grew up with, so it was nice to see the monument in Hyannis as well. Happy travels!
Old Oct 11th, 2012, 05:06 PM

Thank you for the update. I'm glad you had such a good time and cooperative weather.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 12:06 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
What will the temperatures be like in November? I should go google it!!!
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 03:07 AM

50F to 60F during the day, 35F-50F at night. Often gray. Could be rainy. Getting into the period where the Cape and Islands (especially) are warmer than the mainland (e.g., Boston). Expect wind.
Old Oct 12th, 2012, 01:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks ackislander. I think it is going to warmer in San Francisco and New Orleans than on the east coast, Will have to take layers!!