COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Curb-side bag check-in?

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:38 AM
amaclise

Curb-side bag check-in?

Sorry if this has been asked before (way too many posts to read!) but does anyone know if curb-side bag checking is still allowed?

I will be traveling domestically from Chicago O'Hare next week.

Thanks!

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 11:56 AM

I believe it'd be best to check with your airline. It's not as common as it once was.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 12:03 PM
amaclise

Thanks! I looked on the AA site but that page wasn't updated.

I am wondering b/c I don't know if the inside ticket agents have to give special instructions for checked vs. carry on bags.

My ideal would be to print the boarding pass at home, curb check the bag and get in the security line ASAP.

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 12:54 PM

You have to check individual AIRPORTS, not AIRLINES. I travel thoughtout the country frequently and it seems each airport has their own set of rules. For example, Dalls lets you check in curb-side but AA cost $2 per bag, while Northwest does not.
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 01:15 PM
amaclise

Thanks cfntmpn. As a former Executive Platnuim flyer I know you are correct. I did check the O'Hare site as well but since it is AA to whom I am turning over my bag and AA who may want to talk to me at the counter I want to know their policy.

Anyone out there who can answer the question?

Old Aug 12th, 2006, 05:27 PM

Maybe call AA direct or, maybe the O'hare airport website would have this info???
Old Aug 12th, 2006, 06:11 PM

I flew out of Chicago one month ago and yes, there was curbside check in. They charge a couple dollars now, but I think it's worth it.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 06:53 AM

It's $2/bag with AA at O''Hare for curbside checkin.

Curious
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 07:00 AM

It will depend on current events next week. Check your airport website for details.

For example, I just checked for Atlanta and learned that, at the moment, curbside checkin of baggage is allowed AND the current time through security lines is 10 minutes.

Some airlines charge to check baggage curbside and some do not.
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:11 PM
amaclise

Thank you Starrs.

I fear I am not being clear and I am trying to be.

My question was have the curb-side check-in rules changed this week as it relates to the new "no liquids in carry ons" requirements.

Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Well, I am trying to follow. Let's see if I have this correct. If I were flying out tomorrow, I would not have any liquids in my carry-on. I would drive by and use curbside check-in for my checked suitcase. My checked suitcase would have all my liquids in it. I would tip the guy for checking my bags and he would print out a boarding pass for me. At present, Delta does not charge for checking a bag. In fact, last week I checked a bag at curbside in Phoenix at no charge when just a few feet away another carrier was charging $2.

I don't know exactly what kind of increased scanning they are doing of checked bags, but I've not seen much discussion on this topic. Out of sight, out of mind I guess.

When I enter the airport to go through the security I plan to travel much lighter than normal. Even though, at present, only liquids are banned in carryons, I'd like it as easy as possible for them to go through my carryon so I don't contribute to any delays.

The Atlanta website said this morning there was a 10 minute wait for the security checkin. That sounds really good for Atlanta on a "normal" day.

My guess is that the chaos was due to new "real time" changes in what's allowed in carryon (and why) and by next week the process will be our new normal. As long as you don't have liquids in your carryon, I can't imagine anything significantly different than it was prior to this foiled plot (Yeah Scotland Yard!)

My apologies in advance if this is unnecessarily wordy, but in case this helps...
Old Aug 13th, 2006, 01:49 PM

amaclise, someone just posted a first hand report about the changes. I think that's what you are looking for.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 05:48 AM
amaclise

S - you are a mindreader! I am actually going to Bradley!

Interesting that they are encouraging curbside checks.

Thanks!