Search

Cruise Death

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise Death

I don't normally post personal details but hope the Fodors family will go easy on this not totally travel related message.

There is a current news story concerning a man who went missing on a Carnival cruise and is now presumed dead. He was a neighbor and a friend. His 13 YO daughter and mine have been like sisters for years.

Our community, a small one, will be there to support his family when they return. But tonight I am a sad traveller.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I heard about this on the cruise board - I am so sorry to hear that this was someone you knew.

Very sad

You and his other friends and family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 04:50 PM

obxgirl, I read about this on CNN and a couple of websites. To tragic for words! I cannot even imagine what his wife and daughter are going through. It is beyond belief. I understand the search and rescue mission has been stopped.

A very sad and terrible story that should not have happened. I am sorry.
I am glad the family has a good supported group around them, they will need it. My prayers are with all that are in mourning.
Old Nov 27th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Diana and LoveItaly.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 05:11 AM

obxgirl, I saw a similar story on a talk show a couple of weeks ago. Don't know if it's one in the same, but my heart goes out to the family. How awful to not know what happened. It's very hard to have closure in a case like this. I'm very sorry for their loss.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:03 AM
LN

My heart goes out to the family. To have something like this happen when they're having a pleasant vacation is so sad.

The family will need all the support their friends can give along with the prayers that people can offer too.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:17 AM
emd

obxgirl: I hope for your sake and those of the family that people here will not speculate as to what happened. Who knows. And a big loss is involved. Sympathies to you from this fellow OBX traveler.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 10:26 AM

Here is the story, with pictures. My heart goes out to you and yours, obxgirl.

http://www.wjxx.com/news/local/news-...?storyid=28363
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 11:33 AM

obxgirl - Does the wife work for the County? If so, I work with her. This is so horrible.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 11:36 AM

Looked at the link above and answered my own question. If you happen to talk to her today, please let her know that Renee from Communications is praying for her and her family.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 11:41 AM
bonniebroad

How truly sad! My heart goes out to his wife and children ....... I'm so glad they will have people like you, Obxgirl, to lean on.

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Renee, I'll pass on your kindness. They returned home today, unfortunately to find themselves badgered by local & national news media. They've got friends fielding the phone calls and have papered over the windows. It's a surreal addition to the horror they're already dealing with.

Thanks, emd, for your comment regarding speculation about what happened. I saw those posts on the "Cruise" forum and while I know for certain those folks didn't mean to be insensitive, I still got a knot in my throat when I read the messages. In fact, I had second thoughts about whether it was appropriate for me to post at all. But I am grateful for the kind and empathetic replies from those on this forum.

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 12:30 PM

Oh, obxgirl, I am so sorry ! And sorry for this mans poor family, what a terrible thing to happen.
You are all in our thoughts and prayers.
Scarlett
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 12:34 PM

obxgirl, the media sometimes made me so angry. A family has a calamity and they have to deal with microphones being shoved in their faces, photos and videos taken etc.

It makes me sick to my stomach.

Maybe if all of us called and wrote to the TV stations and newspaper they would start to show more respect for people that are trying to deal with their loss?

Anyway, it sure has gotten way out of hand in my opinion.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly, I am in absolute agreement with you but am stifling the urge to unleash a torrent of invective until my emotional edit button is fully restored. Until then, I'm trying to stay focused on the family who needs our support and giving my own loved ones extra hugs and attention.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 01:09 PM
P_M

Obxgirl, my condolences on this tragic loss. Your friends are lucky to have your support. Additionally, you have our support. Please check the discussion in the cruise forum once again and you'll see what I mean. All the best to you and your friends.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 01:10 PM
cd

obxgirl
So very sorry! I'm glad that the 13 year old has your daughter for a friend. She will need her support.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:49 PM

The problem is Carnival Cruises!

I went a few years ago and it was TERRIBLE! They close the ship up at night (unless you want to hang out at the bars) It is completely dark and walkways are narrow. (My mom and I thought we would be able to relax on deck and watch the water at night ... like we saw on the Love Boat etc. - but on Carnival it was impossible!) I was not surprised when I heard a report of rape on Carnival last year...

Anyway, I am not trying to be insensitive to what this post is about. I just want to warn others. My thoughts and prayers are definitely with his friends and family.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:03 AM

My heart goes out to your friends in their time of loss. I hope they can find the answers needed and the cruise line does what is neccessary to prevent this from happening again.

The family is lucky to have you and others helping out in their time of need.
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:19 AM

Many thoughts and prayers for the man's family, for your family especially your daughter, and for your community. Such a tragedy...