Southern California Vacation

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking a honeymoon over christmas break. Starting in San diego for a week, and heading up to Los Angeles for the Weekend. We are looking for somewhere to go for two to three days at the end of our trip in Southern California. Some people have suggested Palm Springs or Death Valley, Any recommendations or suggestions?
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:35 PM

Have no idea of your budget etc but the Willows in Palm Springs is a wonderful romantic inn! Perfect for a honeymoon. It won't be super warm at this time of year. Where are you coming from and give us a better idea of what you are looking for..
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Budget would like to stay in 100's range but not unwilling to look higher. We will be coming from Los Angeles. Looking for some place maybe with a pool that we could swim in despite the weather, or at least some other intersting things to do.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

We are looking for somewhere where we can relax a bit, play some tennis walk around, maybe do some hiking. We were looking for hotels in the $100-$200 range, but are willing to be flexible. A place where we could do some swimming (indoor pool?) Can you swim in december in palm springs or is it too cold?
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 03:48 PM

It's too cold for me (50's or 60's). Every time I make a comment like this about Florida in the winter people get up in arms, that's why I asked where you were coming from (I meant- lived). Death Valley could be really cold! You could go the other route and go to Tahoe for snow! It's high season just about everywhere, so tourist destinations price accordingly.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Original Poster

Oh we are coming from Toronto, so we are pretty used to cold, and a decent amount of warm weather works fine. Went to Tahoe last year, it was incredible great snow. Any suggestions about areas in palm springs, or places we should stay away from because of wind?
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:16 PM

Palm Springs is in the desert and winter in the desert is unpredictable at best. It could be in the upper 80's or on the lower 30's. But an average winter temp is upper 60's - 70, which makes it prime season, especially for golfers. Thus, winter rates are usually higher in PS.

And as for the wind, well, there is a reason they put those wind farms out there! Desert Hot Springs can be pretty windy. Winter winds can be chilling if an arctic storm swoops through while you are there, but generally I have had good, sunny weather out there in December. We normally do a weekend early each December for the Tamale festival and it has always been sunny and warm for us. I'll be missing it this year though, sadly.
Old Nov 28th, 2004, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Where do you have to get back to for your flight home, San Diego or Los Angeles? And what time of day do you fly out?
Old Nov 29th, 2004, 07:30 AM
ltt

i think either death valley or palm springs would be great. the furance creek ranch in death valley is nice and has a nice outdoor pool. if you want to hike, this would be a great place.
palm springs would have the tennis and you can go to joshua tree national park for the hiking. i'm from canada and i've found it warm enough to sit around the pool in january. ask your hotel if the pool is heated - you'll want it heated.
san diego is great. pack a picnic and go for a romantic picnic at sunset cliffs.