Crowne Plaza Times Square

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 05:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crowne Plaza Times Square

Has anyone recently stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Times Square?
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:25 AM

We stayed there in October of last year and had a pleasant stay. The Crowne Plaza has a beautiful lobby and nice clean, modern rooms. It has a great location, close to theatres and the sites.
On the other hand, on the same trip we stayed at the Wellington, whose rooms were less updated but just as nice and clean, the service was equally as pleasant and attentive, but rooms were half the price and less noisy because it wasn't at the heart of the busiest crossroads of the world!
If this is a special occasion, the Crowne Plaza is a nice treat.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:45 AM

I know I'm a biased New Yorker, but I despise the Times Square area and always wish visitors stayed elsewhere. If that's your thing, great, but if you're new to NYC, please don't think that the area is representative of the city. When visitors complain that New York is "dirty, crowded, loud" invariably it's because they stay in the Times Square area.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 07:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank-you so much for giving me the information on the hotel. I really appreciate it. This will be our first trip to NY, and we really wanted to stay in the middle of things. I do understand that there are less dirty, crowded, and loud parts of the city. Those that would generalize are the same one's that would say downtown LA is representative of California, or Las Vegas is representative of Nevada. So, once again, thank-you for the information. I am so looking forward to my first vacation in 19 years (not counting taking kids to college, being off work when the grandkids were born, or visiting my in-laws
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 08:18 PM
GoTravel

The only dirty parts of Manhattan that I've seen are on Canal Street.

The Crown Plaza is a big, souless, convention hotel right in the middle of Times Square.

Times Square isn't exactly in the middle of things. You could stay a little out of Times Square and actually be closer to Central Park, the museums, Fifth Avenue, etc.

Old Aug 1st, 2003, 10:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the information. New Yorkers are so willing to share information. I've read so much about the wonderful restaurants, and places that I should visit. I doubt Canal street will be real high on my list. We considered the hotel for loaction as well as price. I wasn't quite ready to go the bidding route...and figured this would be a good compromise, leaving enough $$ for sampling all the great restaurants in Manhattan. My next visit will definitely be in a different area.