Search

Crested Butte and Steamboat Springs

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2007, 03:07 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crested Butte and Steamboat Springs

I have other current posts concerning these towns. The inquiry I am now making is which town is more enjoyable in the summer (I know it is a broad question). By this I mean which town as more restauarants/ice cream shop, any theatre/music, shops, any tourist attractions that my two pre-teen and teeenager would especially enjoy. we enjoy the outdoors, casual hikes, biking and horseback riding.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 09:23 AM
mrt
Original Poster

ANYONE?
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Ive never been to Steamboat Springs,
but Crested Butte is a lovely town with a nice downtown area. There is some shopping, and quite a few nice restaurants.
There are a lot of nice hiking/mountain biking trails surrounding the town - which is famous for its summertime display of wildflowers.
If you are looking for a fun place to stay the ClaimJumper B&B was fantastic (and really strange). The man that owns it has wall-to-wall crazy collections, knick-knacks, and stuff everywhere. Each room has a theme - and every single item in the room sticks to the theme.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 09:34 AM

I can speak of Crested Butte. There is a movie theater with 4? screens, I think. There are shops, restaurants and outdoor activities. A few shops close in summer. Also, it is still a little muddy in May and part of June so that could hinder mountain biking or horseback riding.

Accomodations are very reasonable in the summer so you could check out a condo rental instead of hotel rooms. We usually stay on the mountain and not in town but both are great.

Another summer town we enjoy is Vail. I don't know if that's an option but it has so much to offer in the summer time. Lots of kids their age as well. And the restaurants and shops are very nice.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 10:46 AM

You can find all of the above in Steamboat as well. I think you'll find more variety in the way of shopping and restaurants in Steamboat, however.
Old Mar 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies. I have held a reservation for a 1 bedroom suite at The Grand Lodge Crested Butte Hotel and Suites for August travel. The suite has a living roo,m kitchen/dining area for $189.00 per night. I will do more research about Steamboat Strings, especially regarding comparable accomodations.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:17 AM

When we go to Crested Butte, that is where we stay. It's very convenient to the ski slopes, but since I haven't been in the summer, I'm not sure what kind of perks you'll get from this location. The free shuttle into town is right outside the front doors of the hotel though. So that is nice.